cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Astronaut

Face Unlock doesn't work with sunglasses

This is a major annoyance. Coming from the iPhone where it works really well, not being able to Face unlock while wearing sunglasses is not a great experience. Having finger print as backup is nice, but the end user experience is jumbled and messy. And yes, I tried to make alternative face and it will not recognize me with sunglasses on at all. 
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Sun

Re: Face Unlock doesn't work with sunglasses

Face unlock won't work with sun glasses on...? Sounds like its really working to me.
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Re: Re: Face Unlock doesn't work with sunglasses

Almost like a its a security feature that's doing it job.
Highlighted
Astronaut

Well it works on the iPhone which uses a more sophisticated sensor and is more secure. So no reason Samsung can't figure it out.
Highlighted

Samsung can figure it out, all they need to do is go back to having a notch instead of a camera hole, and within that notch, setup a grid of IR lasers that measure distance, just like the iPhone does.  Then get sued by Apple for using technology that they "invented".  Ironically Samsung did not sure apple when they added wireless charging to their phones 2 generations ago, but hey...

The real reason they dont add this is because it really is an insecure way of locking your phone.  You might think it is secure, but really all someone has to do is get your phone out of your hands, then point it at you.  A Pin or a Password is WAY more secure as if these individuals have rendered you unconcious as a means of getting your phone, they wont be able to simply point the phone at you, or lift your unconcious hand to the fingerprint scanner to unlock your device. 

Apple has their gimics, Samsung has theirs, if you prefer one to the other, stay with that company, as most phones are technically comperable anyways.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

When you set up Face Unlock, the process asks if you wear glasses. You will then image your face with and without glasses. I that doesn't work, its because the program must see the eyes as a reference point and the tint is too dark.