Original topic:

Fast charging disabled with new update...

(Topic created on: 2/25/21 6:05 AM)
userSM7WN99V1i
Astronaut
Options
Note20

I have been using my cradle style wireless induction charger without issue till today. Installed the newest update and now you want to block fast charging  from my wireless charger that I have been using for nearly a year with this phone!!! The BD that it isn't compatible  is just that, it's never shown an issue with it till your update this morning... What did you not tell us about in this update??? 

0 Likes
15 Replies
Members_aprR7je
Asteroid
Options
Note20

Same here. So  annoying! 

usert9OhmIs5NG
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20
same issue here. worked great previously!
samsung S20+ 5G
Ravpower RP-PC058
usert9OhmIs5NG
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20
I've reported this as Fraud to the FTC.

I suggest EVERYONE with this same issue do the same!

https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/

it is bait-and-switch to force us to purchase samsung-branded fast wireless chargers.

my charger is Qi certified, fast charging - and fast-charging is now non-compatible after software update.
Options
Note20

The FTC will laugh your complaint out the window.

Samsung is fully within it's rights to make their device "Fast Charge" with only compatible chargers, third party chargers may provide inconsistent, or incompatible voltage standards that could, over time, damage the battery.  This is NOT bait and switch, that term means that the company has offered you one thing, and then provided something else.  Where did Samsung state that the device is 100% compatible with every existing wireless FAST charger ever created?  The software update could merely be checking the voltage standards coming from your charger, and deem them incompatible.

It is perfectly within a companies rights to make their devices compatible with only their own, proprietary hardware.  Take Apple as an example.

0 Likes
usert9OhmIs5NG
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20
The phone was sold stating it is compatible with Qi certified fast chargers.

now it is not.
usert9OhmIs5NG
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20
they can do this with a brand new phone release, sure. They cannot do this with already-sold phones via misleading software update
0 Likes
Options
Note20

How did the software update "mislead" you?  If a company finds out that third party devices are damaging their devices, and impacting warranty claims then it is WELL within their rights to make their devices incompatible via a software update.

The specs sheet for the Note20 line states:

Charging
Improved wireless charging speeds with Fast Wireless Charging 2.0
USB PD 3.0 (PPS) certified Fast Charging for wired charging (AFC and QC2.0 compatible)
*WPC certified Wireless charging
*Wireless PowerShare
*Fast Wireless Charging 2.0 currently available with Wireless Charger Stand, Wireless Charger Duo Pad, and other devices that support 10W or more wireless charging. Sold separately. Actual charging speed may vary depending on the actual usage, charging conditions, and other factors. Wireless charger requires power connection. Recommend using in-box charging cable and/or travel adapter for use of third party items may cause damage to the Wireless Charger Stand and Wireless Charger Duo Pad or a decrease in charging speed.
*Wireless PowerShare is limited to Samsung or other brand smartphones with Qi wireless charging, such as Galaxy Z Fold2, Galaxy Note20, Galaxy Note20 Ultra, Galaxy S20, S20+, S20 Ultra, Z Flip, Note10, Note10+, S10e, S10, S10+, Fold, S9, S9+, S8, S8+, S8 Active, S7, S7 edge, S7 Active, S6, S6 edge, S6 Active, S6 edge+, Note9, Note8, Note FE, Note5, and wearables such as Galaxy Buds Live, Galaxy Watch3, Galaxy Watch Active2, Galaxy Watch Active, Gear Sport, Gear S3, Galaxy Watch, and Galaxy Buds. If battery power is lower than 30% Wireless PowerShare may not function. May not work with certain accessories, covers, other brand devices, or some Samsung wearables. May affect call reception or data services, depending on your network environment.

So can you prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that your charger outputs 10W, not 9.9w?  I also see no mention of Qi charging in here either.  Also of note, Qi does not have a fast charging standard, so no such promise could possibly have ever existed.

Qi Wireless Charging Standard » Electronics Notes (electronics-notes.com)

0 Likes
usert9OhmIs5NG
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20
The phone was designed and manufactured to work with Qi certified wireless chargers.

Qi Certified chargers should pose no damage risk to a phone which was, by design, compatible.

if Samsung's phone design is defective and certified Qi chargers are damaging them (speculation) due to a samsung design flaw, then Samsung is obligated to recall the phones and replace them with comparable phones with the design flaw fixed. Part of this recall would then also be a software update to stop Qi Fast Charging until a replacement device is available.

Instead, Samsung released a software update which stated:
-Device Stability Improvements, bug fixes
-New and/or Enhanced features
-Further improvements to Performance.

They did not indicate that they were removing features which the phone hardware and software was designed originally to be compatible with (Qi Certified Fast Wireless Charger compatibility). I would not have accepted the update if they indicated this.

usert9OhmIs5NG
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20
WPC = Qi

"The Wireless Power Consortium (WPC) is the standards organization responsible for developing and managing the Qi standard."
0 Likes