cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Fragile screen - Note 20 Ultra

I was sitting on a box on my back concrete patio when my phone (with a slim TPU case on it) fell out of my pocket onto the top right corner, then fell face down.  

This drop was not more than 12 inches off the ground.  The screen cracked from the right top side to just above the front facing camera!

I thought this glass had a drop rating of 6 feet?!  This is the first time I've had a broken glass screen ever!  And I've had drops from 3 times that height.   Now I have a 300.00 repair cost for a 1300.00 phone with inferior glass.   Sad state of affairs Samsung...

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: Fragile screen - Note 20 Ultra

I completely agree with you on this point. I only had my phone less then a week, I noticed a crack while waiting for my case to come. The crack was from the power on button down the backside of the phone. I NEVER DROPPED IT AT ALL. It was in my pocket or my work bag and this is supposed to be their best screene? They need to be ashamed of the viability of this screen and I'M HIGHLY UPSET.
Highlighted

There's a small gap in the glass for the earpiece speaker. Perhaps that's a weak spot on the glass causing a crack on your 4th drop?
Highlighted
Sun

You have dropped your phone 4 times sound like you needs an Otter Box or Good bumper case. Unfortunately glass is glass no matter what its rating. The right hit on the edge of glass will do it. I love a slim cases but have since change to a thicker bumper for these expensive phones.
Highlighted

Glass is glass.  Corning (the makers of Gorilla Glass Victus) rated the glass for a 6ft drop in ideal conditions.  Concrete is not an ideal setting.  Also glass can be more prone to shattering from certain angles, so if it fell at just the right angle it will shatter or crack.  Apparently your phone fell just right to get cracked.  I know it is not ideal, but that is the risk you take whenever you drop your phone.

This is not Samsungs fault, it is mostly on the owner, and only then on Corning.

Not sure why people are saying this is your 4th drop, im not seeing that anywhere...

Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Re: Fragile screen - Note 20 Ultra

I was considering purchasing this phone and I decided to research it first. one thing that stands out from countless users is how fragile the glass is on this model. My note 9 and 9+ has fallen countless times on concrete, hardwood, marble and etc surfaces without a crack, mark, scratch or anything. I don't have a glass shield on it just a case from ebay. Due to the reviews of how fragile it is I'm skipping this model. I think it is something to it if so many are experiencing cracked screen issues versus previous models
Highlighted
Asteroid

lol. I should have been more clear. I've dropped some of my previous phones from heights 3 times higher than the New Note 20 Ultra and not had it break. Also, in my opinion, there is no such thing as an "Ideal" condition for a phone to be dropped, whether intentional or not. I've had so called weaker glass survive much worse drops than this...
Highlighted

It does not matter how clear you were.  Not all of your phones fell in the exact same way.  Your new phone fell just right on a weak spot, causing the crack.  No glass in the world is shatter proof, and the strongest in the world is on your phone.  Samsung did not design the glass, corning did.  Samsung did not make this claim, corning did, and has tests to back up this claim.  For samsung to get you a new screen, they have to source it from corning.  Why should samsung be liable for your mistake?

Highlighted
Asteroid

A fall from one foot for glass that is claimed to survive up to a six foot drop would give the reasonable expectation that the glass would survive unscathed with the exception of a few scratches. if the fault is with Corning, then it is up to Samsung to address that with them, not me. You are responsible for the parts that you choose to use in your product. Perhaps Samsung's design of the phone is the cause of the weakened glass or Samsung did not do there own drop testing properly. who's to say that hundreds of people are having the same issue and there is a design flaw with the phone. My experience, along with the claims of the Glass manufacturer tells me that the screen should not have cracked from such a minor fall.
Highlighted

@Bill6090 wrote:
who's to say that hundreds of people are having the same issue and there is a design flaw with the phone.

Uhm, those hundreds of people, thats who.  Can you produce those hundreds of people?  You are the first to make this claim that I have seen.  When there are hundreds of people with this problem, then yes, Sasmung WILL do something about it, either on their own, or as a result of a class action lawsuit.

Their product is not what caused the issue, if you go to youtube, you can see videos of mixed results.  In the first video I watched, the Note20 Ultra's screen shattered on the first fall, from 3 feet.  In the second video, however, the FRONT glass did not break even after 12 drops.  No cracks, No scratches, and 10 of those drops were fron 6ft.  Seems like that second video supports Cornings claims, and the first supports what I have been telling you, that no 2 drops are the same, if the right conditions are met, a crack could occur from ANY drop.

I am not heartless, and I doo feel bad for you having a crack in your screen on a device that is not even 2 weeks old.  What I am arguing here is that it is anyones fault but your own.  Samsung has TRIED to cut these problems off before they happen by using the worlds most advanced glass.