Original topic:

Frequent Android system updates

(Topic created on: 4/14/21 7:15 AM)
SweetTasha
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20

Recently my note10+ phone has been performing daily android system updates. I think this activity is probably related to T-Mobile replacing the SIM card. The process goes through several steps that in total take 20-25 minutes, during which I'm unable to use the phone.

Is there something I can do to manage these disruptions?

TIA. SweetTasha.

0 Likes
3 Replies
green5178
Galaxy
Options
Note20

I just got a new S10 plus and same thing happened to me.  Non stop updating and rebooting and i couldnt use the phone.  I ended up turning off wifi so it would stop downloading updates in the daytime when i needed the phone during work hours then in the evening i turned wifi back on and let it do his thing.  i quit counting but it was definitely more than 8 updates that it did...  On a side note is it actually updating because just changing sim card shouldn't make the phone need updates though?  Just wondering...

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

SweetTasha
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20

green5178,

Not sure I understand On a side note is it actually updating because just changing sim card shouldn't make the phone need updates though?  Just wondering... Each time it goes through the serveral steps I see a progress bar and the time it spends on each step varies. I believe that this suggest that it isn't just looping through the same step over and over...but, of course, I could be mistaken. As for whether changing  the sim card would be a factor, I believe it's plausible that it would cause it to require one update but not several.

After enduring several of the 20-25 minutes events, I noticed that there is an option to schedule the update. I opted to have it do it/them at 2:00 am. Overnight yesterday it did in fact do an update. How do I know this? Because its notification woke me up LOL.

SweetTasha.

0 Likes
green5178
Galaxy
Options
Note20

Sounds like its definitely updating.  You can postpone/schedule the update for later like you discovered.  I would keep checking for updates when you have time until its all caught up then you wont have to worry about updates when its inconvenient.  I also know if you turn off wifi it will not be able to download updates unless you over ride it and tell it to.  I just know it took about 2hours between all the updates/installing/rebooting when i first go the phone....

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

0 Likes