cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Headphone saga - unimaginable support for flagship device!

I purchased a Galaxy Note 20 Ultra from At&t. Subsequently I have been surprised at the discrepancy we US customers face and Samsung's abysmal customer support for customers of their flagship product.

No headphones were included in the package. Fine apparently for the following reasons:

1. A lot of customers throw away included headphones.

2. Customers use their own headsets anyway.

Point no 2 might be valid, but how many customers have USB-C headsets, especially ones that they prefer over 3.5mm ones (if anyone does - please let me know which one you use - since I am yet to come across a half decent USB-C wired headphones which have had any substantial presence in any audio community)? Even more so, with the ommision of the DAC inside the phone itself, some of the older generation USB-C headsets would not even work with these phones. As for the headsets Samsung included (I speak from experience with the headsets included with S7, S7 edge and S10e) anyone who has thrown them away should re-evaluate (and deeply lament) their decision because with the dual drivers and the Adapt Sound feature - those headphones are hidden gems. 

Now coming back to the issue of solutions. I contacted Samsung on reading that wired headsets AND a 3.5 mm adapters were being sent to customers who asked for them. I was very sternly turned down on asking for the adapter and sent a wired AKG pair (EO-IC100BBEGUS) - presumably ones included with Note10 or S20. The package I received looked like someone had taken the flimsy paper wraparound, the strip of additional tips and the headset in a fistful and thrown them in a large envelope and shipped it with complete disdain. And they did not work - there was no consistency  of audio signal (literally breaks after every few seconds) from the phone to the earpieces whatsoever - either in calls or for music. And here's the killer: when you go to the Samsung products page and look at the headphones they have for sale - these are not even there! The only USB-C headset for purchase are the ANC ones (EO-IC500BBEGUS), while the older 3.5 mm headsets (EO-EG920LBEGUS and some other colors) are still shown on that page!

I contacted Samsung again and pretty much begged them to send me a 3.5 mm adapter instead of another such headset as a replacement (I believe that's a valid request since the adapter is half the price of the headsets). I was told that I would need to purchase that separately since all things in life do not come free. This is after purchase of a flagship $1300+ device.

They are sending me a replacement for the same AKG headsets. I am wondering if they are also actively doing this to clean out their warehouse and actively discourage customers from asking for accessories which should have been included in the forst place. This is not the expected experience with a flagship product, let alone with a company of this stature.

Update: I had mistakenly put in $1500+ earlier since I had completely forgotten that I got the 128GB edition since At&t did not have the 512GB one in stock.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Headphone saga - unimaginable support for flagship device!

These are the headphones you're talking about: Samsung Type-C Headphones, Black Mobile Accessories - EO-IC100BBEGUS | Samsung US

They're available for $10-15 on Amazon if you really want a working pair, they're okay to good but nothing special. Yes, I would just invest in a USB C to 3.5mm jack adapter. They're, again, just a few bucks on Amazon. Idk why you would spend $1400 on a phone and throw such a fit about something like this. I get that it's the principle but you have to realize that 99% of customers don't act this way, so the customer service agents are likely a bit confused why you're freaking out.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Well, your reply is quite interesting. What if I told you that I got the phone for a really low out of pocket expenditure (approx $360 including taxes through an At&t upgrade deal)? I guess then you'd say - well you got a ~$1400 phone for way less - what are you complaining for, right?

The underlying principle of a flagship device is that they are not just worth the actual device (which in terms of components and labor costs about $550 not taking into account the research and marketing costs - ref: https://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-note-20-ultra-bill-of-materials-1157163/), it is about getting the ultimate customer experience. With this amount of markup in price, it is pretty close to a luxury device if not considered one already - and if you look at the companies that sell luxury devices, they usually provide a ton of additional service (like a concierge) to justify the expenditure. Samsung itself does that for the Flip and Fold series. The Z Flip cost pretty much the same as the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 128GB (the Z flip 5G similar to the Note 20 Ultra 512GB). Hence am I wrong to demand all this? Especially when customers in other countries do get most of what I am asking for in the box whgile paying the same as a customer in US purchasing the same?

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

if you contact samsung they will send you a pair for free. At least that's what I heard
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

If you read my post, that is what they did (but not the 3.5mm adapter on the initial ask). And what they sent me was a defective one. Hence I was requesting for the adapter instead of the headphones, so that I do not get caught up in the return and replacement cycle. But that was not entertained.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Want to complain about things not in the box? Wait till ya buy the new IPhone and it does not include a charger.
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

I am not buying Apple, neither is this a forum for Apple products. I dislike Apple vehemently for their approach of customer taking their offerings on blind faith since they know more than anyone else. I sincerely hope that is not what Samsung intends to steer towards, and if so I will not waste a single moment in switching my business to a company which doesn't.