JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Chrome and other apps crashing due to Android System WebView

(Topic created: 03-23-2021 11:30 AM)
RNG_Anarchist
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Z Flip

Yesterday March 22 there was in update to a Google service know has android web view this caused numerous bugs and problems with with Samsung phones thankfully its a super easy fix all you have to do is navigate to the Google play store and unistal the following app "Android system webview"

Do not be Alameded this is an android system function baked in to android and cannot truly be uninstalled all this will do is revert the the version of the framework that was installed at start and will not cause you to loses. Any data is this is helpful please leave a you helped my on my account I have made a video tutorial on how to fix the issue that can be found herehttps://youtu.be/MVP0T3PwVhQ

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Stephanie Nikki
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy Z Flip

Early Thursday morning/late last Wednesday night, Google released new versions of Android System WebView & Google Chrome. If you are experiencing constant app closure/crashes, please open Google Play Store and update both apps to the latest version.

Google has provided more details and steps for updating Android System WebView and Google Chrome as well as how to manually update WebView or Chrome if the update of either app fails to complete.  

https://support.google.com/android/thread/103561027?hl=en

“To resolve this issue, Android System WebView and Google Chrome need to be updated. Google Play will soon download the update to these apps on affected devices, or you can update manually to resolve the issue immediately. Some devices do not have WebView pre-installed and only need to update Chrome.

To manually update Android System WebView and Google Chrome right now:

1. Open the Play Store app.
  2. Search for “Android System WebView.”
  3. Select Update. If it doesn't say “Update”, skip this step.
  4. Repeat these steps for Google Chrome

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in context

11 Replies
userGhVXVvYZp3
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Z Flip
What will happen if we disable this program? I did the uninstall update thing and it fixed the crashing problem for now but I'm afraid it's going to do it again.. what does this program even do?
0 Likes
RNG_Anarchist
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Z Flip
I would not recommend its a core function of android need for a lot of things
Sasaki
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Z Flip
I updated the app now everything works fine thank you
pooky22
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Z Flip
that's all good if Google app will open but it doesnt.
0 Likes
RNG_Anarchist
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Z Flip
I'll make a video on how to do it the manual way
0 Likes
RNG_Anarchist
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Z Flip
here is they way to do it trough settings https://youtube.com/shorts/4mh65tkh6AE
0 Likes
Joeyjoe
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy Z Flip
Update chrome on play store then restart app
0 Likes
pooky22
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Z Flip
yeah wonder why I'm now getting weird calls saying I ordered this that and the next thing since I attempted this.
Scrappy3400
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Z Flip
s8. does not give you the option to update or practice webview. you have to disable google chrome, restart phone then active again.