Original topic:

How do i change my wifi frequency bands?

(Topic created: 07-22-2021 05:24 PM)
Whatdoiputhere
Astronaut
Options
Note20
I am currently on a note 20 and i can't figure out how to change my wifi frequency bands. I used to be able to do this on previous versions of android. Can someone help me?
0 Likes
8 Replies
LongHiker
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Note20

@Whatdoiputhere do you mean when you are creating a hotspot?

If so

1. Open Settings
  2. Click Connections
  3. Click Mobile Hotspot and Tethering
  4. Click Mobile Hotspot
  5. Click Configure
  6. Then you can click Band to change between 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz. 
0 Likes
Whatdoiputhere
Astronaut
Options
Note20
No, i mean when i am connecting to my wifim I try to change the frequency but i cant find the setting for it.
0 Likes
TheGalaxy
Black Hole
Options
Note20
If you mean the wifi frequency of your phone wifi, your phone automatically does it.
0 Likes
Diaboyos
Supernova
Options
Note20
What exactly do you mean by frequency? The channel being used? The wifi type (N, AC etc)?
0 Likes
Whatdoiputhere
Astronaut
Options
Note20
I mean the bandwidth. I believe that my default is 2.4 but i want to change it to 5
0 Likes
Diaboyos
Supernova
Options
Note20
You do that on the router.
0 Likes
Whatdoiputhere
Astronaut
Options
Note20
And how do i do that? ive changed it on my playstation and on my pc but i can't figure out how to do it on my phone.
0 Likes
Diaboyos
Supernova
Options
Note20
How you do it on your router depends on your router so I can't really help you there. You need to go to the router settings then the wifi settings and you should see the bandwidth that your wifi is currently set at.

I have three SSID's that I can choose from. One that uses Wireless N at 2.4GHz. One that uses Wireless AC at 5GHz. And one that uses both wireless N and AC. This way I can select whichever wifi I want to connect to on my phone but the changes are actually made on the router.

So if you want to change from 2.4 to 5 you would do it on the router settings. Keep in mind if you do this you'll lose range and the 5GHz band doesn't penetrate walls as well. That's why I usually keep mine on the SSID that uses both bands.

If your internet speed isn't faster than 250mbps changing to 5GHz won't really help with speed. Why are you wanting to change bands?
0 Likes