JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

How to assign a ringtone to a contact

(Topic created: 01-16-2021 05:43 PM)
MissDallas
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20

I received my new AT&T Branded Note 20 a few days ago (I'm comming from a Note 3), and this phone doesn't have a "Ringtone" option in any of my Contacts.  I have clicked on the "View More" in the Edit Contact mode, and the ONLY (sort of related) option is "Vibration Pattern".

I have run all updates on the phone (Android, Google and Samsung), it is using Android 11 and says the software is up-to-date.  I have tried editing a few contacts and even adding new ones to see if the ringtone option would show up, and it does not.

Am I missing something??  My entire family has Samsung phones and this is the 1st phone with this issue.

MissDallas
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20

I have confirmed that everything you listed = Yes

OneUI 3.0

Android 11

Alarms - 0 items (but I never used an App alarm anyway)

Notifications - 4 items (all appear to be stock)

Ringtones - 3 of my App ringtones (all are mp3's)

And in Settings / Ringtone - 5 of my App ringtones (from the Note 3) are listed at the top of the list under "Custom", and it does allow me to select one of them, but only for use as the phones Default Ringtone.

0 Likes
MissDallas
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20

I also checked several contacts that I never set a speacial ringtone for and the option isn't available under those either.

I also reset the default ringtone to a stock ringtone, rebooted and checked several contacts again, still no joy.

0 Likes
usermzeJaY3BsM
Black Hole
Options
Note20

I am sorry then, I am at a loss.  The only thing I can think of now it because that you are on a note20, not a note20 ultra, and that just seems dumb to me if they did that...:(

MissDallas
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20

Do you think it may be worth a try for me to reset every ringtone to every contact on my Note 3 to a stock ringtone and then transfer them to the Note 20 again and check to see if anything changed?  The Techie in me says it shouldn't make a difference, but the Old College Try keeps saying, "Sure, what do you have to lose" LOL.

0 Likes
usermzeJaY3BsM
Black Hole
Options
Note20

I dont think that will help, you would be effectivly be clearing that flag (custom ringtone) if you did, and then it would transfer nothing.  You could try though, I would just reccomend backing up your contacts first, and then moving that VCF file off of your phone so that you can revert back if it does not work (making sure to delete the contacts before re-importing them so you dont end up with dupes).  Maybe try removing those 3rd party apps as well, who knows, maybe they are getting in the way. ???

MissDallas
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20

I'll give it a try and let you know if it worked (it will be a couple of days).

Thank you SO MUCH usermze for your time and effort!!!

MissDallas

usermzeJaY3BsM
Black Hole
Options
Note20

No problem, I mean what else am I going to do while i am sitting here at work?  My job? pfft 

LOL

MissDallas
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20

Braaahahahaha!!! You're a Hoot!!!!

Solution
Northlandish
Asteroid
Options
Note20

Hey there,

If you're still wrestling with this annoyance, then try the following:

Follow the steps already outlined by you.

When you're in the Edit mode on the relevant contact, tap "More..." as you did previously, look for the "Allow permissions" option, and tap it, then grant the required access permission, and viola, the option name has now changed to "Ringtone". Should be smooth sailing from here on...   🙂

When you've done this step once, the Contacts app now has the necessary permission, meaning that you'll now see the "Ringtone" option under "More..". if you want to customize ringtones for any further contacts of yours.

/Nortlandish

MissDallas
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20

EUREKA!!!!!!  Thank you so much Nortlandish, this worked Perfectly!!

It makes no sense for Samsung to make this option (which so many people use), so difficult/unobvious to locate.

I actually have a T-Shirt that says, "Hang On, Let Me Overthink This". 

Thank you again!!

MissDallas

0 Likes