JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

How to enable 6GHz on the phone to use WIFI 6E?

(Topic created on: 11/14/20 6:11 PM)
Dezz1
Astronaut
Options
Note20

How to enable 6GHz on the phone to use WIFI 6E? I have a US phone with Sanpdragon 865+ that supports WIFI 6E, but it's not enabled?

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
LongHiker
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Note20

The WiFi Alliance’s WiFi 6 is specified to operate between the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies. It does not use 6 Ghz. 

Do you have a Wifi 6 router? 

View solution in context

0 Likes
12 Replies
Solution
LongHiker
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Note20

The WiFi Alliance’s WiFi 6 is specified to operate between the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies. It does not use 6 Ghz. 

Do you have a Wifi 6 router? 

View solution in context

0 Likes
Dezz1
Astronaut
Options
Note20

I have a Asus Rouge AXE1000 that use WIFI 6E. WIFI 6E DOES operate in 6 GHz! Google WIFI 6E frequency range.

0 Likes
WarriorMan256
Asteroid
Options
Note20

how do you know its not enabled? do you have an 802.11ax router? its probably worth renaming the ax access point name on your router. sometimes if they're all the same name it will connect to a slower protocol like AC or N

0 Likes
Dezz1
Astronaut
Options
Note20

I was told by a Samsung Technician it's not enabled, I asked after viewing the specs of the phone that says it operates upto the 5 GHz for AX, not the 6 GHz range for 6E. Yes I do have AX router that supports 6GHz and backwards see my reply to LongHiker above. To your point of renaming the access point, they are and have their own names.

0 Likes
WarriorMan256
Asteroid
Options
Note20

it's possible that samsung is still waiting on the FCC and WiFi Alliance to approve all of this. From my understanding the FCC just recently gave the greenlight to use that band without a license for every user. There are probably still other hurdles to get through yet. Just because the chip is capable doesn't necessarily mean Samsung can turn it on yet. Hopefully they'll enable it soon.

0 Likes
Dezz1
Astronaut
Options
Note20

I hope that is the case, it's the main reason I purchased the phone.

0 Likes
Dezz1
Astronaut
Options
Note20

I want to revisit this now that the next Galaxy phone is coming out today that has WIFI 6E enabled on it.

0 Likes
Options
Note20

Uhm... I have been searching for the unit you specified, and all I could find was the "ROG Rapture GT-AXE11000"  this is the first ASUS router with 6GHZ, is this the device you mean?

I get WiFi 6 at my aunts house, as indicated by the WiFi6 logo when connected, so WiFi 6 is indeed enabled, so not sure if you just need this, or if you mean WiFi 6 specifically in the 6GHz range...

0 Likes
Dezz1
Astronaut
Options
Note20

Yes, I have the ROG Rapture GT-AXE11000. my phone does connect to WIFI 6, what I'm referencing is WIFI 6E which only operates on the 6GHz range. The Note 20 Ultra US version has the Sanpdragon 865+ which is WIFI 6E capable but is not enabled on the phone.

0 Likes