JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Motion photos quality

(Topic created: 01-25-2021 03:06 PM)
userzlf4EjDgVu
Constellation
Options
Note20

I am a bit confused about the quality of the photo when using motion photos. When I take a full size photo, it comes out as almost 6.7 Mb and 4000x3000 size. When I select a different part of the motion photo and save it via screenshot, it is only 698 Kb and 1080x1440. Does this mean that when you select another instance of the motion photo, you end up with a photo which is good for internet only and not for printing? And now I have another question: when the motion photo shows a size of 6.7 Mb, is this really the size of the photo, or is this the size of the video? I wonder if the photos I have shot with the motion picture on are actually good quality, or whether I will end up with a video shot, where I can take low quality screenshots! 

0 Likes
3 Replies
nopen1278
Sun
Options
Note20
if you want high quality screenshots you should try changing your display resolution to WQHD+ from FHD+. 6.7Mb size is a combination of the video/ resolution of the motion picture.
0 Likes
userzlf4EjDgVu
Constellation
Options
Note20

What I am trying to understand is what exactly happens when I select the motion picture icon. The photos I was taking before were - as example - 19Mb with 12000x9000 resolution. This is the standard 4:3 resolution of the Note 20.  How does this compare even with WQHD+, where the analysis is only 3088x1440? 

Does this mean that when I select the motion photo, the phone switches from taking high quality pictures to taking a short video, and in order to save a picture you effectively take a screenshot, and therefore the resolution of this picture is as good as the screen resolution, which at best is web quality? 

0 Likes
Solution
nopen1278
Sun
Options
Note20

Ok I think I understand the question better.  So yes motion photo does take a short video.  And the only thing that I have seen so far to save a picture is with a screenshot which will be at screen resolution.  If you want to take high quality photos and don't want to miss something because of motion then it might be better to try burst mode instead.  You would be able to choose the best shot and if i remember right you can create a gif of the photos taken or delete the ones you don't like.  Burst mode will be saved to phone storage instead of sdcard.