Original topic:

Note 20 Ultra 5G 512GB - Cracked Screen/Samsung Care+

(Topic created on: 1/12/21 2:03 PM)
RPPing
Asteroid
Options
Note20

I pre-ordered my phone and included the insurance from the start. I received my phone, ear buds, etc on the first shipments out in the States. I've paid my monthly subscription for Samsung Care+ each month without fail (it's auto-paid after all). 

Last night, I had an accident...the phone slipped and fell. I have a case, but the curved screen took the impact and shattered. Frustrated, yes, but that's OK, I have insurance through Samsung Care+. I went online to file a claim. It told me that I couldn't file online and would need to call for an agent. No problem, I used my old Note 8 (with the Note 20 sim) to call. They take my information and confirm my coverage. This should be "easy" as it always has been in the past. The agent asks me to hold. A minute or two later, he comes back on the line and asks me to hold a bit longer. No problem. When he comes back a third time and says that he needs a bit longer to resolve the problem, I ask, "What problem is there?"

The agent lets me know that since Samsung is no longer manufacturing my phone, they won't be able to offer me a replacement and he is trying to find out what can be done. Hmmm...that's concerning. The phone is all of 4+ months old and I'm being told that Samsung no longer makes it. Sad and scary for a flagship phone from a major manufacturer.

This time, the agent comes back and explains that...since they can't swap out my phone, I can get reimbursed for the original cost less my deductible. I mean, hey, that's not so bad...and better than getting a downgraded phone, but WHAT IS UP with the phone no longer being manufactured? My Note 8 was available for replacement for years. The Note 20 Ultra 5G 512 GB isn't available post launch...4 months post launch...what?

OK, I've rambled enough, but I wondered if anyone else has experienced anything similar. I have 30 days to accept Asurion's offer, but...sheesh...what else can I do? I'll probably grab the Galaxy S21 Ultra 512GB version, but...I do prefer the Note series (with the s-pen holder...as I know I can buy the s-pen for the S21...and microSD slot). Plus, I have a 512GB microSD that may not be usable in it.

Final question for now:  Does Samsung actually have a customer service department or anyone that we can truly talk to about issues like this? Yes, I broke my phone by accident, but I did buy the Samsung Care+ warranty and planned for this phone or its replacement(s) to last me multiple years like the Note 8 has. I can't seem to get anyone on a phone outside of Tech Support and they aren't the right venue for this conversation.

4 Replies
Ekamek
Sun
Options
Note20
Lucky for you that you will get something out of it.
0 Likes
RPPing
Asteroid
Options
Note20

With the insurance in place from the start, I don't consider it luck, but, yes, I'm glad that it isn't a total loss. Disappointed with not being able to have a like for like replacement though.

0 Likes
userEUJ02JFXBC
Asteroid
Options
Note20

Same boat here. They quit manufacturing the 512gb version of the Ultra sometime around late August. I had mine since June. That said, I didn't get replacement based upon original value. They determined the phone was now worth $1,100 and took my deductible off of the reduced value. It sounds like Assurion through Samsung is offering you a better deal than Assurion through Verizon did. They need to notify customers that they have no way of correcting a loss. There are plenty of 512 owners that are oblivious to the fact that they are still paying for coverage that can't be fulfilled. It took lots of discussion before they agreed to pay for the phone. It definitely wasn't something that they were readily willing to do. Glad they got you sorted out. 

RPPing
Asteroid
Options
Note20
Thanks! You must have had the Galaxy S20 Ultra, not the Note 20 Ultra, right? I say that as the Note 20 series was not released until August 2020. Either way, Asurion is supposed to cover a complete replacement (or equivalent). I'm sorry to hear they reduced the value on yours. That's complete garbage. Honestly, they should have offered you the Note 20 Ultra 512GB if you filed in August, IMO.
0 Likes