Original topic:

Note 20 Ultra 5G Connectivity Issues AT&T

(Topic created on: 10/2/20 3:39 AM)
Tricolorvision
Asteroid
Options
Note20
Samsung Community,

I have been having issues with my new 20 Ultra almost immediately after activating it and getting it set up on AT&T's network. Randomly and it seems for no reason (I have full coverage including 5G at my home address) my Note 20 Ultra 5G will completely disconnect from the network while displaying that I have full coverage in other words the bars are full. This issue has happened while watching YouTube videos, while talking to the Google Assistant, while browsing Facebook, or even simply searching something on the web.. 

I contacted AT&T about this several times and they troubleshooted my phone the first time and found no issues and told me to call back if the issue persists as it could just be a network issue that hasn't been identified yet, that was almost 3 weeks ago, but I did call back a second time..

The second time, which was a few days later they did another troubleshooting and found no issues, but I didn't want to be told to just wait it out and the representative decided to do a reactivation of my phone to give it a fresh connection to the network, that worked for maybe an hour and then it went back to doing the same thing. I was told by AT&T that there was nothing else they could really do on their end and it must be a phone issue, that being said I reached out to Samsung and let them know that AT&T had troubleshooted my phone found no issues. There was and still is in fact this same issue, which was at this point getting worse and worse and happening more frequently. 

Samsung decided it must be something with the phone that isn't working properly since AT&T's troubleshooting found no errors and they decided to send me a replacement device. I got that device a few days ago and have been using it, the issue seemed to have been with the old phone, or so I thought.

Up until yesterday my replacement device was fine, but now is doing the exact same thing and is getting worse. I haven't touched any of the settings for network connection or mobile data connection as I did with my first Note 20 Ultra 5G in an attempt to fix it myself so I'm dumbfounded as to what could be the problem. Google did release a system update which I did download and install, but the issue had been occurring prior to that so I do not think that has anything to do with it, in fact I was hopeful that by installing that it would correct the issue. 

That all being said, has anyone else been having issues with their note 20 Ultra either on AT&T's network or any other network? 

If so what did you do/what did they (samsung or the carrier) do to fix it?

It's really frustrating because I've done everything I was supposed to do as recommended by Samsung such as turning mobile data off then on, restarting the phone, trying airplane mode, and yet nothing seems to work. I had a Galaxy S10 for almost 2 years and it gave me no issues, I've had the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G for one month and I'm worried I'm going to be stuck with a phone that is just going to keep disconnecting from the network and then I'm just going to have to deal with it, in which case I would just like to get a different device all together..

Sincerely,

A frustrated Note 20 Ultra 5G allegedly "breakthrough phone" owner. :face_with_rolling_eyes::pouting_face::tired_face:

#Note20Ultra5G #Note20 #Note20Ultra #ATT #Connection #Network #Issue #Connectivity #MobileData #LosingConnection #5G #AT&T #Samsung 
SuziC
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20
I have the same issues with my note 20 and my 10+!
Right before I switched devices an AT&T rep had me update my access point names. she blamed the error on me purchasing the device from best buy, however the note 20 was purchased from att and I always receive network connection errors. At this point its utterly ridiculous to have network/device issues and everyone is clueless.
Options
Note20

*Not sure why, but I made a minor edit to my previous attempt at posting this, and Samsung DELETED IT instead.

I had a few problems with my AT&T device as well, but found a post on here that helped me with it.  They reccomended I make changes to my APN (access Point Names)  I did so and it seemed to resolve the issues.

Settings | Connections | Mobile networks | Access Point Names

From here click on Add at the top right and enter this info:

Name: ATT Broadband

APN: Broadband

Proxy: Not set

Port: Not set

Username: Not set

Password: Not set

Server: Not set

MMSC: Not set

Multimedia message proxy: Not set

Multimedia message port: Not set

MCC: 310

MNC: 410

Authentication type: Not set

APN type: Default

APN protocol: iPv4/iPv6

Turn APN on/off: APN turned on <this option is greyed out>

Bearer: Unspecified

Mobile virtual network operator type: GID

Mobile virtual network operator value: 53FF

Then click on the three dots at the top right, and click Save.  I also found this one on an AT&T support page, and it seems to work well too.  These settings are:

Name: NXTGENPHONE

APN: NXTGENPHONE

Proxy: Not set

Port: Not set

Username: Not set

Password: Not set

Server: Not set

MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net

Multimedia message proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net

Multimedia message port: 80

MCC: 310

MNC: 410

Authentication type: Not set

APN type: default,mms,supl,hipri,fota

APN protocol: iPv4/iPv6

Turn APN on/off: APN turned on <this option is greyed out>

Bearer: Unspecified

Mobile virtual network operator type: GID

Mobile virtual network operator value: 53FF

On the fields that are "Not set" you can delete the value, or leave it blank.  On the Turn APN on/off setting, this is greyed out for me, and still works, this option has a slider switch that is to the right, if you can edit it...

Once you have entered in both of these two new ones, you will have three options in the Access Point Names screen, ATT Broadband, ATT Enhancedphone, and NXTGENPHONE, to switch between them click the radio buttons next to the names, not the names themselves, as that will show the settings, and not change to that APN.  I keep mine on NXTGENPHONE most of the time, as it seems to work, but when Pokemon GO acts up, i go in and change it, and my issue goes away.  

0 Likes
Tricolorvision
Asteroid
Options
Note20
It would depend on your phone, I know that the AT& T Broadband APN is meant for laptops and tablets that are connected through AT&t's wireless network and the nxtgenphone APN allows up to 4G. I have the note 20 Ultra 5G and the enhancedphone APN is my default APN. adding lower APNs would work most likely I haven't actually tried it yet with just those but from what I understand my phone should be utilizing everything that is included under the nxtgenphone APN as well as the broadband APN since both LTE and everything else is a step down from 5G. so I technically could probably use the nxtgenphone APN, but that would defeat the whole purpose of buying a 5G phone for $1,300 just to have the same speeds that I did on my S10.

Are you using a Note 20 Ultra 5G or is this another device?
0 Likes
Options
Note20

This is on a Note20 Ultra 5G, and I do still get 5G with it, and the logo even still switches betweel 5Ge, and 5G (I dont think I have ever seen the 5G+, but that is likeley not available in my area).

0 Likes
Tricolorvision
Asteroid
Options
Note20
Oh! Alright I will give it a shot then, maybe that's the issue misinformation lmao I'll check it out after work and try to test it out tonight. I had 5G+ once in DC a month or so ago so it's possible lol
0 Likes
Stefneej
Constellation
Options
Note20
I tried this fix and neither of them saved in my phone
0 Likes
userG99jGq3j1m
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20
I too have 5G connection issue with my Note20 ultra which purchased samsung online shop a month ago and had been worked fine until 5days ago on my Tmobile network, it suddenly dropped HSPA(3g) no 4G LTE or 5G very slow. I went through all possible issues, resting network, cleaning catch petition even swiped a new simcard but noting worked, today I went a T-mobile store near me to address issue one of salesperson poped up my simcard into his S20 phone it show 5G! it is my phone problem not Tmobile network so I guess I got a defective one, I reached out Samsung customer service they told me to go "iFix You break" to evaluate, a brand new possibly the best phone out there has been nothing but giving me headache.
latoplano_6_625
Red Giant
Options
Note20

you can upload your problem on Samsung Members app.Once you upload your log via samsung members app, technicians will look into your log and see what the issue is.

0 Likes
usern3enpbCC2b
Asteroid
Options
Note20

I am having the same issue as well. Samsung may have to recall the phone and admit they got it wrong big time after all the fuss about the benefits of the so-called ground-breaking 5G technology the phone will run on.

I got an unlocked Samsung Galaxy Note 20Ultra 5G phone for a whopping $1300 around the third week of November 2020. Initially, everything worked perfectly fine but after about 3 weeks I noticed I couldn't connect to the internet if I'm on 5G even though I have strong 5G signals (all bars). Immediately I contacted T-Mobile who did everything they had to do and even did several resets including network settings and went through the APN settings all to no avail. T-mobile said I may have to contact Samsung which I did and Samsung directed me to visit one of its Authorized Service Center.

I visited the service center who after running an IQC test said the 5G connectivity is faulty. Immediately I called Samsung and they asked that I send the phone back to them and after a few days I received a box, RESET the phone to factory setting and sent the phone back to Samsung in Texas. After about 5 working days they sent the phone back to me that they have run several tests and found no problem with the phone. 

I took delivery of the phone albeit concerned but with some glimmer of hope that the problem has been fixed but alas I was wrong. To be sure that there was no issue with T-Mobile I went to a T-Mobile store and got a 5G compliant sim card, still, I could not connect to the internet. The T-Mobile technician said he believes the issue is with the 5G reception or antennae because the phone shows 5G with full bars but no internet connectivity and this was the exact same statement I received from the Samsung Service Center.  

Out of frustration, I called Samsung again and they are asking me to send the phone back to them again the second time which I am going to do shortly.

<edit> I have suffered untold pains (emotional, personal, financial, work-related loss, etc) as a result of this defective phone and fraud by Samsung. What does it cost a multi-billion dollar company to simply replace the phone or refund the full amount paid? With $1300 I can buy the latest iPhone Promax 12 with some change left and have some peace. This is how little by little a company can self-destroy itself if it doesn't care for its customers. 

I want to believe Samsung reps are reading this. A 'tiny' $1300 business transaction has a considerable potential to cost your company significant monetary loss if the issue is treated with levity.  

0 Likes
usern3enpbCC2b
Asteroid
Options
Note20

After going back and forth (with a lot of calls from my end) with so much bureaucracy I was informed that the repair was canceled (apparently the phone is a defective one) and that I will be getting a refund as they don't have the model for a replacement.

However, getting the refunds appears even more daunting than any process I have gone through up till this time. I was informed after the refund was approved, it will take between 8 and 18 business days to get refunds. Having gone through a lot of stress with this phone, it felt like this company doesn't really care for their customers. I am still waiting and checking my account and mail daily for the refund. The waiting alone is like an eternity. I guess 18 business days is almost a month of waiting.

Hoping the funds will eventually get to me so I can buy another phone. I can't believe this is happening to me seriously. I have learned a big lesson, nevertheless.

0 Likes