Original topic:

Note 20 Ultra 5G / SM-N986U1 eSIM activation

(Topic created: 09-03-2021 08:01 AM)
userDIg9pD0TjV
Constellation
Options
Note20

I have used LG phones for almost a decade. When Samsung decided to do eSIM with the Note 20 Ultra, I decided I would change as I travel and this would be a useful feature. I ordered the Note 20 Ultra 5G when it came out last year and overall the phone has been good. However, the eSIM has never been active. I've tried several times to contact Samsung to get it resolved, to which they never responded.

I also read through several forums noting that it was not active for some reason on the unlocked versions (which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever), but that Samsung was going to provide an update to activate the eSIM. Apparently, they have only unlocked the carrier versions and decided to leave out the unlocked variants.

If the eSIM does not get an activation by the end of this year for the unlocked version, then this will be the last Samsung phone I will ever purchase as they will have falsely advertised the specs and capabilities of their phones to consumers and I will be contacting the proper authorities to launch an investigation and lawsuit into this malpractice.

10 Replies
ElWormo
Halo
Options
Note20
I'm pretty sure you can go into any T-Mobile store & get your problem resolved, or you can go online & download the instructions for doing it yourself.
0 Likes
ElWormo
Halo
Options
Note20
Go into your carrier's store & they should be able to help you out with that.
0 Likes
userDIg9pD0TjV
Constellation
Options
Note20

if it was that simple, I would have done that already. It is not a carrier version, it is a factory unlocked version that came straight from Samsung. The carriers cannot do anything about it, as it does not have their FW installed.

The FW update to unlock the eSIM needs to come from Samsung directly.

userEFinNRdVlK
Constellation
Options
Note20
I agree. I have the exact same issue. I don't understand the point of locking it.. I desperately needs the esim
ElWormo
Halo
Options
Note20
Did you try it?
0 Likes
ElWormo
Halo
Options
Note20
Mine is also factory unlocked.
0 Likes
Options
Note20

To my knowledge, there is no way to get e-sim going on a Note20 Ultra at all.  Carrier locked, factory unlocked, whatever, Samsung does not support this.....YET...  You would think that over a year after release, and advertised feature would be present, but that is why we don't work for Samsung.  I am surprised a class action lawsuit does not already exist for this.

@ElWormo

E-sim is a secondary sim, allowing a second line / carrier on the same device.  it does not appear that you are familiar with this terminology based on your responses.

0 Likes
nursepract
Astronaut
Options
Note20
Yeah well we cannot get delivery reports on text messages either because we bought through Samsung and our devices do not come with that option which is also stupid! We pay more for the unlocked version and we should be able to get everything and more in my opinion!
0 Likes
Wake96C4
Constellation
Options
Note20

I'm in the same boat. I bought the factory unlocked version for the dual-sim eSim and now it appears we may never get the eSim option unlocked.  I understand it's been unlocked on the T-Mobil locked vendor version for about a year now. Why can't we have it on our more expensive unlocked version?

I need this option from my unlocked phone as my work SIM is from AT&T so a T-Mobile locked version isn't even an option as I can't use my AT&T work sim in it with my personal T-Mobile account on the eSim.

I've owned all Samsung phones since my first original Note was released. I've also owned The Note 3, Note 4, Note 5, S8 Active, Note 10+ 5G and now the Note 20 Ultra 5G and 3 Samsung smart watches. I've enjoyed all the phones and always recommended them to friends and colleagues. If Samsung doesn't step up for the customer on this then not only is this Samsung phone is my last phone from them, it will be my last Samsung product period and I will no longer endorse this brand.