cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Note 20 Ultra Camera Module Clicking

I got my note 20 ultra a few days ago and let me start off by saying that it is awesome and I love it. Everything seems to work great and I'm very happy with the phone. I just noticed something that I thought was odd and I wanted to see if anyone else noticed the same thing. If the phone is stationary for a while and then I suddenly move the phone quickly or change the angle, there is a very subtle click in the camera module. Its almost as if the image stabilizer is turning on as I move the phone. If I shake the phone there is no rattling like there was in the camera module of the s20 ultra but I can't figure out what this click is. The camera isn't on when it happens and I can only reproduce it if I keep the phone still and then make a sudden movement. Any ideas? 
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: Note 20 Ultra Camera Module Clicking

I think everyone is the same from the community to the YouTube reviewers. seems to be normal
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

What does the "clicking" sound like? Is it a mechanical click or like a rattling? When I shake the top of the phone, I hear a quick faint rattle, like there's something loose, but it goes away after a few "clicks". When I shake it immediately after, there's no rattle. Also - another disconcerting noise happens when I tap the corner of the phone where the camera module is - not right on the corner, but holding the phone face up and gently tap that corner (with or without a case), there's a definite extra noise, as if the camera module is loose. Again, holding the phone face up and tilting it, I tap on the back of all the other corners and there's no noise. To hear something "loose" when I only tap on the back of that corner is very disappointing on an expensive phone that's supposed to be solidly built. I'll have to go to Best Buy to see if the sample Ultra does it too.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Re: Re: Note 20 Ultra Camera Module Clicking

Its very mechanical, feels the same as when you are in camera mode switching between cameras. I'm pretty sure it's the image stabilizer because after moving the phone if I stare at the middle camera on the back module I can see it settle when the phone is still. Very odd for that to be engaged when not in camera mode.
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Re: Re: Note 20 Ultra Camera Module Clicking

hey Ssnake28, did you end up keeping the device or requested to replace it at all?
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Re: Re: Re: Re: Note 20 Ultra Camera Module Clicking

I ended up getting a replacement phone for another reason but it does the same thing. Another member of my family has the same phone and it does the same thing. I think it's just Samsung way of trying to get rid of the rattle the S20ultra had when you shook it. This phone has the same type of camera module but the module engages during sudden movements to keep it from rattling
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Note 20 Ultra Camera Module Clicking

gotcha, as long as this is normal lol but my OCD is driving me crazy tho 😆 thank you!
Highlighted
Constellation

I can confirm a very similar random rattle on my note 20 ultra coming from the camera area behind the screen..This usually happens when bringing the phone towards you or away from you or flipping it 360 degrees rather than the rattling exhibited in the S20 Ultra when you shake your device...I can also feel it rattling in my pocket when i am jogging..I guess this is the much talked about and previously addressed optical image stabilization module in the lens

Otherwise the phone seems solid and has great features and options and the rattle has no effect on thr functioning of the phone

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Hello,

Does this clicking sound occur when your device is in safe mode?

Let's try putting the device in Safe mode to determine if there are external factors that cause this symptom. This step will temporarily disable all your third-party apps, but none of your personal data will be deleted. Your customization settings (Wallpaper, Themes, et cetera) will be reset to default once you exit this mode.

Please follow the steps below:

1. Turn the device off.

2. Press and hold the Power key past the model name screen.

3. When "SAMSUNG" appears on the screen, release the Power key.

4. Immediately after releasing the Power key, press and hold the Volume down key.

5. Continue to hold the Volume down key until the device finishes restarting.

6. Safe mode will display in the bottom left corner of the screen.

7. Release the Volume down key when you see Safe Mode.

8. To exit Safe Mode, restart your device.

Let us know how your device responds after performing this step!

Highlighted
Astronaut

Hello, I have gone into safe mode on my note 20 ultra and the camera still clicks. I'm worried if it's broken or something so please respond ASAP. Sounds like there is something wrong with the ois or something