cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Note 20 Ultra Unlocked and cannot activate

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have had trouble trying to submit this inquiry and the page gets wiped out when I submit.  Here we go for the 3rd time!

I bought the phone pre-order through Samsung.com and intended to trade my Note 9 (unlocked) and then activate the new phone with Sprint (now also part of T-Mobile).  Normally, you can activate through the Sprint web site, but I got an error.  I spent hours on the phone with Sprint and Samsung support.  Sprint was unable to identify the phone with the IMEI and also did not show up on a couple of IMEI search sites.  Samsung said they would be happy to do a return.  (I asked to escalate the issue, it isn't a bad phone... it is the availablity method of looking up the IMEI).  

I thought, this must be tied to the fact that I recieved the phone on the 19th of August and the actual release date is August 21st.  But, to no avail, still not recognized by Sprint/T-Mobile.

I went to a few other carrier web sites where you can "Bring your own phone" and Boost recognized the device as compatible.  As did US Cellular, Straight Talk, Cricket and Google Fi .  Verizon and T-Mobile were the only 2 that did not recognize or found nothing when searching the IMEI.

It is unlocked phone that seems to be incompatible with Sprint, how can that be?

I had a similar situation with my Note 9 activation and the guy at the Sprint store made a call and got something fixed on the back end, but I have no idea what kind of magic he used to fix the issue.  But, this seems to be the same issue and the store was unable to activate it for me.

Any suggestions?  Anyone know how to effectively escalate a service issue within Samsung?

Thank you in advance.

-Frustrated in Omaha.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Note 20 Ultra Unlocked and cannot activate

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I just came back from the Sprint/T-Mobile store again and found a young lady that was able to find it in the system this time and it showed up as eligible.  So, it might be safe to assume that some unlocked phones are shipped out without being relayed to the carriers prior to the release date (which is today Aug 21st).  She was not able to confirm that, but you would think that between Samsung and Sprint/T-Mobile that someone could have found and relayed that information.

She added the new sim card anc we're off to the races....success!!

Side Note:  Once she handed it back to me all my Samsung settings were gone and I had to restore from the backed up Samsung account.  Which restored my home screen, passwords, preferences, etc. .  Made it very easy.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION
i pre ordered mine in samsung.com too an unlock version. using TMobile prepay sim card. no issue. best of luck!
Highlighted
Sun

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Are you using a new sim card had to do that with my S9+ unlocked. Sprint gave me a new card and voila it worked.
Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I just came back from the Sprint/T-Mobile store again and found a young lady that was able to find it in the system this time and it showed up as eligible.  So, it might be safe to assume that some unlocked phones are shipped out without being relayed to the carriers prior to the release date (which is today Aug 21st).  She was not able to confirm that, but you would think that between Samsung and Sprint/T-Mobile that someone could have found and relayed that information.

She added the new sim card anc we're off to the races....success!!

Side Note:  Once she handed it back to me all my Samsung settings were gone and I had to restore from the backed up Samsung account.  Which restored my home screen, passwords, preferences, etc. .  Made it very easy.

View solution in original post