Original topic:

Note 20 Ultra unlocked US version - ESIM in Europe

(Topic created on: 3/10/21 9:05 AM)
usergjC4o0Zudc
Constellation
Options
Note20

I purchased the phone thinking Esim support was coming, as posted by Samsung on this board. It is not available in the US, but I am traveling to Europe and wanted to know if I will be able to use esim in Estonia. That way I can have a local number and my US number.

I feel the feature was promised and I have not seen any explanation as to why it is not available. Iphone has it, and I would like to understand why my expensive phone cannot support it.

7 Replies
Options
Note20

International boarders are technically imaginary lines, how would crossing an imaginary line make something start working?  You would have had to have purchased the international version of the Note 20 for eSim to work, and then it would work anywhere (assuming you have access to the cell towers for both Sim and eSim installed).

0 Likes
usergjC4o0Zudc
Constellation
Options
Note20
While international borders are lines on a map, they do define where national carriers have networks. Now in the US it has been stated that it is the carriers that are not allowing esim, I do not know if that is true as Samsung has not been forthcoming. In Estonia I know you can use esim on iPhone. I bought an unlocked phone, it literally said I can "use it on any network" not any US network. From what I have read the snapdragon processor is better anyway. If the international version works, then it should be software and if it is a carrier issue then as long as I am where a carrier supports it it should work. Also on this forum a Samsung employee stated they "are working on enabling the feature", that was in September of 2020. I appreciate the advice, but I did not purchase the international version and would love to hear from Samsung on whether I can use this phone with esim in Europe.
0 Likes
Options
Note20

In America, you can use eSim on an iPhone, Sony phone, Google phone, etc., so it is NOT the carriers blocking this.  You CAN use your unlocked device on ANY network, ANY ONE network, as eSim adds a second carrier to your device.  The answer is NO you will NOT be able to, no matter who answers.  The software loaded on your phone, since it is the US version, has LOCKED this feature out.  Crossing the line on a map does not magically force a new download that mysteriously enables locked out features.  Removing your USA sim and adding a <Insert any country name here that is NOT USA> sim does not force this USA hardware device to suddenly load said countries version of android.  It is a software lock, but is tied to the US loaded software by Samsung before they shipped it.  A firmware update is the ONLY thing that will enable this, and there is no such firmware for the US hardware as of yet.

0 Likes
Options
Note20
You can forget about eSIM functionality via Software Update. More than a year since they first misled on S20 series and promised a software update. Since then Note, Fold ans S21 series - same story
SamsungCole
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Note20

usermzeJaY3BsM is correct, the US model devices would be unable to use eSIM functions at this time. The hardware functionality is there, but the software has not been made to work just yet. So there may be a time in the future when this would work, but sadly not before your trip I would suspect. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

jeromebt
Asteroid
Options
Note20
hello, what is the eta, should not be a technical issue since it works with other csc, I am planning to opt-out samsung if that doesn't happen. even Oppo has it. the sooner the better. thus is very frustrating from an international company like samsung. please add #esim
0 Likes
Options
Note20
You should forget about. That's a sad story Samsung and their super enthusiatic supporters keep telling to the people. After more than a year 4 different flagships into the same ridiculous situation. What's the use of it when you pay for a premium device and don't get the feature advertised during presale? And if you would get it after product' end of life is therw any benefit? BTW there's only 2 years of committed updates from manufacturer so almost there with no updates.
0 Likes