Original topic:

Note 20 ultra Worse Camera for close up details! Whites always blown out! So disappointed :(

(Topic created: 07-14-2021 04:37 PM)
JonaraBluMaui
Asteroid
Options
Note20

I'm so disappointed in the camera on this phone! I have to use my phone for close up beaded jewelry photography. I've been using my S9 plus for many years and it's always been amazing. I 'thought' I did my research and found that this camera was good in reviews..but it's always hard to find anyone talking about specifically what I need it for. 

I should have brought jewelry out and tested it right away instead of waiting a couple of months until it was time to take photos of my new collection. This camera is a mess and completely worthless to me! And it's the only reason I paid for such an expensive phone, the camera! (I didn't go up to the S21 or note 21 because I needed the option to put in an SD card for work)

Not only is everything blurred out...even the pinpoint focused area is not that great. Esp if it's a light color...it always blows out. Don't even think about photographing white.

I guess I"m writing to vent because I've had the phone too long and there is nothing I can do about it. Just hoping Samsung sees yet another complaint I guess. I almost traded in my S9+ too....good thing I didn't!

not cool Samsung 😞

12 Replies
TheGalaxy
Black Hole
Options
Note20
There is a x2 option
If you get very close, the option appears. Then you can move back and it would use zoom function to take close up picture
JonaraBluMaui
Asteroid
Options
Note20

I did do that and I may have gotten a couple of okay ones..but still they seem way fuzzier than my s9+ which seems to take photos with such ease! I will try it more though and see what happens.

0 Likes
TheGalaxy
Black Hole
Options
Note20
I know
0 Likes
CoolmanNikolai
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20
Thanks for the info on the camera I can't stand not having a good camera that seems in or takes night pictures of the Moon I love the moon I'm not little dots in the sky when I take a picture
Smew
Nebula
Options
Note20

Can you provide screenshots, or tell me the exact camera settings/aspect ratio you were on while taking these close up photos? 

What phone model do you have and software version is it on specifically?

(Settings > About Phone > Software Information > Build Number (last 4 characters)) 

JonaraBluMaui
Asteroid
Options
Note20

I'm not sure if aspect ratio means the 1:1 which is what I shoot on so all my photos are square.  phone is note 20 ultra. The camera software version says: 11.0.02.97

I'll have to find photos to show you...I deleted them and have been too busy to get back to this thread. I appreciate your asking though and the help..I did not expect that anyone would reply with help as I was just complaining to Samsung lol...but if there is something I can do about it that would be awesome!

0 Likes
Options
Note20
Try enabling document scan in the scene optimizer settings. It improves macro shots. Also make sure your ratio setting is on the default 3:4/12 MP setting as the 108MP requires a great deal of good lighting and produces extra large files without much benefit. That large 108MP lens produces a natural bokeh that you need to learn to work around. Use the suggested settings and enable the 2x zoom and pull your device back until all of your subject is in focus. Also, don't forget about the tap to focus option.
JonaraBluMaui
Asteroid
Options
Note20

Oh interesting...I will try that.   I never shoot at the 108mp full screen. I need my photos to be cropped square for the website I upload to so I always use the 1:1 setting. I use the tap to focus but it's such a small part that focuses and then the rest turns bokeh..which for some is okay..but still I think the focused part is not as good as the S9+  

It's just pretty disappointing when you have a much older phone and think your camera is gonna be way better with a newer phone 😕

0 Likes
Options
Note20
This what it looks like from my N20U20210221_204649_18679.jpg20210221_204145_18673.jpg
0 Likes