JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Note 20 ultra battery drains fast

(Topic created: 08-27-2020 06:44 PM)
userCBj2Lq6enn
Asteroid
Options
Note20
My note 20 ultra battery drains fast. Should I return the junk? My S10 plus has better battery life than this $1300 phone.
146 Replies
NalonP
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20
Hey guys I received my Note 20 ultra on August 19th the day that it started shipping. I am on the most current software version. I have the note 20 ultra mystic bronze 128gb tmobile variant with the Snapdragon 865+. The battery life has been very disappointing this past week and I have no idea why. I am connected to wifi most of the time running at adaptive 120hz and adaptive brightness. I get a max of 4hr of SOT sometimes even less like 3 hours. I end up having to charge in the middle of the day only for it to get super low again by the end of the day. My old s10+ which I used the same way would consistently get 6-7 hour of screen on time no less. This was with the same exact usage. My question is will there be a software update to drastically improve battery life? Is Samsung aware of this problem? Is it a widespread problem? I love this phone but I really wished it lasted me at least one full day. P.S. I have been using Samsung ever since the s4 and have owned the s6 edge s7 edge s8plus s10plus and note 20 ultra. This is the first time I have been disappointed in a Samsung phone regardless of price.
NalonP
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20
Soo does anyone have any idea what's going on? should I return the device before the 14 day return period
0 Likes
IAMCANADIAN
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20

need more data friend.

• What is your usage?
    • Phone calls all day? Hotspot on? Music?
  • If you look at your battery usage, is one app always ripping your battery up? (Usually a google product)

At the very least, go to battery--power mode, turn on adapative power saving.

Give that a day or so and see what you get for battery life.

But otherwise if you're reaching your return window, initiate the return with Samsung while you test out that above power setting

0 Likes
NalonP
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20
I use my phone normally like my old s10+. I transferred all my data to my note 20 ultra from my s10+. However I got 6-7hr one qhd 60hz which is what everyone else seemed to be getting with the same phone. However this phone seems to drain fast doing normal things like youtube, snapchat, browsing. No phone calls, hotpsot is never on, I don't really listen to music. I keep brightness the lowest it can get where I can still see
0 Likes
NalonP
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20
As well as optimized power setting
0 Likes
IamHooman
Astronaut
Options
Note20
I just received my S20 Note Ultra and noticed that the battery after being fully charged is dying faster than my previous S9 plus... 8am 100% to now 930am at 85% only listening to music.  Is my phone defected????
0 Likes
usermzeJaY3BsM
Black Hole
Options
Note20

There is no such phone.  PLEASE REMOVE the S from the 20.

The S line and the NOTE line are different devices.

You have ONE of the below:

S20 Ultra

Note20 Ultra

Battery life will level out once your Note20 Ultra (5G) learns your usage habits.  Mine did, as I now get home with 40-50% remaining, and the first week (received it on 8/18) I would get home at 20% at best.  I am inferring that you have the Note20 Ultra 5G based on the forum you are posting in BTW.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Note20

Eveyone, including myself is complaining about battery draining fast.  I switched from Note 10+ to N20U.  Have you tested the camera?  I took several photos today (default settings) and they don't have the glow of my Note 10+.

0 Likes
Jawa7400
Constellation
Options
Note20

Here is what I found to be the fix for now. I have watched anything and everything I could find on N20U battery drain/fixes/etc. I have turned off location access for most things, tried to put to sleep most apps that weren't in use, charged the phone last night and unplugged this morning around 4:45 when I woke up. Started using phone at 100% battery power around 5 am. Doing nothing more than browsing, the battery drained 11% in 30 minutes. SO I went into settings, changed my display to the highest resoloution and dropped the refresh rate from ADAPTIVE down to STANDARD 60hz, recharged the phone back to 100%, unplugged it and since then, I've lost 12% battery since 6am and it's almost 11am. So in 5 hours I've lost the same amount of battery at 60hz that I lost this morning at 120hz in 30 minutes.   

0 Likes
Geno71
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Note20

@Jawa7400 

Yes, that Adaptive refresh rate is a big battery drain. I suspect this is why they don't allow it with QHD+ resolution, yet. Yes, people say "give us an option", but here we are, we have an Adaptive option, and everyone wants to use it, and now many complain about bad battery life. If we had an option for full QHD+ with 120Hz we would all turn it on, and then spend our free time on the forums complaining about terrible battery life. All 3 hours of it until our phones die. 

Another thing that drains the battery is 5G (useless for most of us), and while some can turn it off, many can't, including myself, but I'm not actually complaining, I'm getting decent battery life here, about the same as I did with Note10+. 

Don't forget to give this post a Like by clicking on the ❤ icon below. 
And if it answered your question, please click on "Accept as Solution"