Original topic:

PSA: DO NOT BUY Unlocked phone from Samsung(dot)com or Samsung Care Plus ESIM

(Topic created: 05-15-2021 11:55 PM)
ddormammu
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20

I have spent past 4 days, talking to reps from Samsung support, Care plus and TMobile, and they have been bouncing me around from one to another. I even heard it from a Care plus rep that "I should have bought my phone from Tmobile instead of Samsung"

Here is the whole ordeal. I read an article (https://www.engadget.com/samsung-galaxy-note-20-ultra-esim-t-mobile-052913532.html) and thought well, I can use this feature on. my Phone since I do have another number and I would love to use the dual SIM functionality now that both my Phone and carrier support it. Turns out I cannot. Samsung sells an unlocked phone, only to make you wait for all carriers to support, and then push the feature, last on it. 

T Mobile and Samsung support kept sending me this article (https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/t-mobile-esim) , but never realised even after I repeatedly told them, that I have bought an unlocked phone from Samsung.com. 

I spent hours to understand that the option is just not available to me, and none of the support folks had proper documentation, for them to tell me that this feature cannot be enabled on my "Unlocked" phone. 

So @SamsungAdam or any other mods, can explain, what real benefit is there to buy an unlocked phone, if Samsung gives special treatment to Carrier models first. Also, what kind of care plus service is, if the reps tell me that I should have bought the phone from TMO, not Samsung? 

Why the heck is Samsung selling unlocked phones and duping customers? 

This shouldn't be this hard. 

10 Replies
StizzyKing
Asteroid
Options
Note20
Carrier decides not samsung, they do this with all phones
0 Likes
ddormammu
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20
No where other than the US region this happens. Apple and Google don't have to do it. Why does Samsung?
ddormammu
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20
Plus mine is an unlocked phone. Why should the carrier decide?
StizzyKing
Asteroid
Options
Note20
Idk but, but that's the same reason they rolled out google messages with rcs before samsung added rcs to phones because carriers had to enable rcs themselves so some people have rcs and some people dont
0 Likes
ddormammu
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20
RCS is understandable because your phone has to communicate with other phone. E-sim and dual sim are related to local device.
Swaf85
Astronaut
Options
Note20
Samsung sells devices in America that use the American system, developed by American wireless networks like t mobile.
In most of the world the dual sim function is the normal, expected even, means of interacting with service providers. By that I mean many will have a sim for inside City areas and another for a specific region or for whatever the want. This system developed over time as the wireless service was developed, specifically the way service providers sold access to their networks. So that should be easy to understand for now, America developed a system and everyone else did too.
Now, in America, you rent your phone. You may have gone through a series of actions that made you feel like you own something but, if you really think about how you pay for and use your phone, you're borrowing it. American service providers developed a huge system of selling phones for their network. They then sell you a sim card... For that network. You will pay for this over time as part of a contract, or most do. If you buy their phone, paying full value up front, and think it's yours, then you should be able to do what you want with the tool that's provided to access wireless services correct? Well, then switch services. Yes, I know you can't swap out the sim and use the phone one provider sold you on another network. Because you don't own that phone, you've rented it. And the entire system is designed for you to buy their phone, which works on their network, and then use their sim which is just redundant network exclusivity really. So Americans are meant to look at TMobile coverage and Verizon coverage and instead of telling those providers which areas of their network they want to access, by using the sim card purchased from the provider, and inserting the chip, which is a network exclusive communication key, into their phone, which is supposed to be the customers tool of use for accessing the wireless network, they are told by the network they can pay for the privilege of using the phone that works on their system to use their sim which is keyed to their system and if they want to have a reasonable price you'd need to promise to pay them for a period of time to reduce risk. If you realize they exaggerated about coverage, well, the phone is not going to work anywhere else, you'll want to return it. You didn't want the sim card anyway, return that. Then the contract is broken so you pay a fee to cancel. You go to the next carrier you have to do it all again. That's a rental system.
The reason other countries have unlocked phones with two sim cards is because they wanted to own their phones from the beginning, probably because they realized it didn't matter what someone told them if they paid someone every month for something so useless they hoped to return it if using another provider, then they never owned it to begin with. They were paying to use someone's stuff.
So to sell phones Samsung sells Americans rental tools for one system and the rest of the world personal access tools with the ability to actually choose how they want to use the wireless network. And if they sold you an unlocked two sim phone, the American providers would simply refuse to authorize their use, and selling you a phone with two sim slots that would only work with one card may make people realize that there's a reason it feels like no one understands the things you have problems with. They're problems no one else would have accepted to begin with because they buy the service, but Americans are sold a service. It's actually a big difference if you can understand all that.
0 Likes
ddormammu
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20
I am sorry mate, but you need to have better comprehension skills. You have in detail explained how the American system works of carriers dictating which phones work with their system. But my point is completely different I didn buy or rent my from from Tmobile. I bought the phone directly from Smasung. Like you do if you go and buy a Google pixel or Apple iPhone. It is an unlocked device. So the features that should be available on a carrier device should be available on the unlocked device as well as it is more universal.

Sadly the case is exactly opposite with Smasung and unlocked phones, hence my PSA. I don't say do not buy samsung phones, but do not buy Unlocked phones from Smasing, because they are truly not unlocked.
To explain further, a true unlocked phone would work anywhere in the world with all its features. (Esim) Like an iPhone would. But Smasung doesn't do that with its unlocked phones in the US and that's the problem. If they are advertising esim on their website, they SHOULD add that capability to their unlocked device. It is as simple as that. It may or may not work with your carrier. But the capability should be there.
ddormammu
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20
It's amazing how none of the mods have still replied on this thread. I have directly tagged one. If anyone knows a mod, tag them here so we can get answers.
Options
Note20

And you will continue to not get an answer because the mods are not going to tell the truth when it comes to their employers' bait and switch products...