Original topic:

Regression: apps don't rotate vertically anymore. Can't charge with Google Maps in the car anymore.

(Topic created: 04-23-2022 09:34 PM)
madbrain
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20

I have auto-rotate enabled.

Using an app that supports rotation, such as Google Maps, starting with the phone in portrait mode, with the USB connector at the bottom of the phone. This is what happens when I rotate the phone.

1) rotate phone 90° to the right (clockwise). Maps rotates, and is now in landscape mode, with search bar on top.  USB is on the left.

2) rotate phone 90° to the right (clockwise).  Nothing happens. Maps is still in landscape mode, but sideways, with the search bar sideways, on the right. USB is on top.

3) rotate phone 90° to the right (clockwise).  Maps rotates, and is now in landscape mode, search bar on top. USB is on the right.

4) rotate phone 90° to the right (clockwise).  Maps rotates, and is now in portrait mode, search bar on top. USB is on the bottom. Phone is back in its original position.

Case 2 is broken. It used to work in the past, where the maps apps would rotate and have the search bar on top, while the USB connector was also on top. This is how I used my smartphone in the car, keeping it upside down in the cupholder, with the USB cable connected at the top. It no longer works.

The cupholder is not wide enough to use the phone is landscape mode. In portrait mode, with USB at the bottom, it's not possible to charge, so the phone discharges while the screen stays on in car mode.

Is anyone else seeing the same problem ? Is it a software issue ? Or is there something wrong with the hardware in my phone ?

I'm using a Note 20 Ultra, SM-N986U. T-Mobile version, unlocked.

ONE UI version : 4.1

Android version : 12

Baseband version : N986USQU2FVC5

Google Play system update : March 21, 2022

Android security patch level : March 1, 2022

4 Replies
DarkPhox
Comet
Options
Note20
Not all apps seem to work upside down anymore
Only 2 that I have found that do this is discord and then the camera sort of, the UI will be sideways but photos taken aren't saved upside down, instead they are saved right side up as if the phone wasn't even held upside down
madbrain
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20

DarkPhox,

Thanks for responding.

Actually, I can't find any apps that work properly when the phone is upside down anymore. Have you found any ? It seems like this is completely broken now.

The pictures from the camera app indeed aren't shot upside down, but the camera app UI is still in the wrong spot.

On my Galaxy Tab S7+, all is fine, including rotating the main desktop, Google Maps, and camera UI controls, in all 4 possible tablet positions.

The tablet is also on Android 12 and One UI 4.1 . Google Play update is March 1, 2022. Security patch update April 1, 2022. Of course, the tablet doesn't fit in the cupholder, either, so it can't be used for navigation in the car.

I really need Google Maps to work with the phone in the upside down position. I know for sure that it used to work when I bought the phone, and until recently. It seems like it's a software regression. How do we get Samsung to pay attention and fix it ?

0 Likes
Who_Dis
Neutron Star
Options
Note20

people watching videos in bed complained about videos rotating while they lie sideways with the phone 'upside down' as you described in rotating step by step... Samsung prevented the screen from flipping upside down i think... XD

0 Likes
madbrain
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20

Sorry, what ? One could always disable auto-rotate altogether if auto-rotation was an issue. Any evidence this is what happened ?

I have no way to make the phone work in the car as GPS while charging anymore. This is a functional regression