Original topic:

Scared to do new software update...

(Topic created: 05-08-2022 01:32 PM)
brwneyedgrl03
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20
I'm scared to do the new software update because the last software update I did it got rid of my WiFi calling. I live in the country of Kentucky and my house is on a hill but surrounded by knobs so no cell phone towers actually reach data services to my phone, hence I rely on WiFi calling on My at my own home. Without it my phone is essentially useless. It took my carrier having to reboot my system and I was steps away from having to do a factory default reset in order to get it back.. Somehow it did eventually come back when I was backing up all my data. Does anyone know what could have caused this and why and if this new update would potentially do the same thing?? Eventually the update will force itself anyway so it's almost a moot point... 
19 Replies
Roxanne55
Nebula
Options
Note20
Well what phone do you have? Any major software updates on an older phone no matter what , effects its functionality. Might want to switch carriers verizon vs t mobile vs at&t. To get better reception. Sometimes US cellular works better in rural areas.
0 Likes
brwneyedgrl03
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20
I have a Note 20 5G Ultra and I did use to go thru at&t but they are so expensive on any plan you have, so I switched to Spectrum mobile bcuz I was switching carriers on our digital cable as well to that anyway.
0 Likes
EricJRW
Halo
Options
Note20
Well, there are other ways, ie apps, to make WiFi calls. While maybe not ideal, there's What's App, Signal, and I'm sure many others.
0 Likes
brwneyedgrl03
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20
I mean right now the WiFi calling is okay and currently functional and the possibility and to even toggle it on is an option that is there, the last update took it completely off the phone and it was greyed out as an option I couldn't even touch. I'm just scared the new update is going to do the same thing and I'll have to rinse and repeat having to go through the process of calling my carrier and trying to fix it, when that didn't work, I called Samsung help and that was fruitless and their customer service is worthless. So I called the carrier back and after resetting everything short of probably minutes away from doing a factory default reset it finally reappeared where I could turn the option on. It was so weird...
0 Likes
Roxanne55
Nebula
Options
Note20
Might want to see if you can switch carriers that service your area better, get a deal by switching networks and upgrading your phone.
0 Likes
brwneyedgrl03
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20
Right now I can't switch carriers again, I don't have the funds to be able to do that. I have to take whatever I can afford. I didn't mind at&t when I had them but it didn't reach out here and pretty much any of the carriers aren't going to reach out here bcuz the cell towers are blocked from all the surrounding knobs and hills. Imagine a bowl that's empty, my house would be sitting in the middle of the bowl and all the rest of the bowl would be knobs and the cell towers are sitting outside the bowl not tall enough to reach in, that's pretty much the scenario I'm dealing with.
0 Likes
EmilyNoelle
Astronaut
Options
Note20
I would go ahead and update. Maybe it would help...🤷‍:female_sign:
0 Likes
brwneyedgrl03
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20
I could, just don't know for sure if it actually would but it is going to eventually force the update anyway so I guess I'll deal with it when it comes if it happens again. Just hope I can get it back again. I definitely don't have the funds to be able to afford a brand new phone. I spent my last stimulus check from COVID on the current Note 20 5g Ultra and I love this phone.
0 Likes
EmilyNoelle
Astronaut
Options
Note20
I totally understand your not wanting to. Sometimes these updates come with bug fixes so it may be worth a shot. I don't want to advise you to do something and then it turn out bad, though. 😕