cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Screen Protector or lack thereof

I purchased a Galaxy Note 20 Ultra from At&t. Subsequently I have been surprised at the discrepancy we US customers face and Samsung's abysmal customer support for customers of their flagship product.

The phone did not have a pre-installed screen protector. The At&t store people initially told me that it would have it, and then opened the package and told me that it did not - and that none of the Note 20 or Note 20 Ultra would have it. I ordered a few third party protective cases for the phone to find printed cards in them which said they do not include a screen protector since the phone comes preinstalled with one. When I contacted Samsung, the customer service (both the initial agent and his supervisor) told me that the Note 20 Ultra indeed should have the screen protector on, and that Samsung has no system in place to send a screen protector to a customer. Now I am being thrown from one court to another trying to find out what could be a solution since the phone does not play well with any available screen protectors in terms of the ultrasonic fingerprint detection. Am I supposed to believe that Samsung thinks that the US customers are gullible enough to use the phone without one while they harp about the newest Gorilla glass installed on the phone while they provide a screen protector for the rest of the world? Or is it that At&t is trying to dupe me with a faulty package here?

I also have issues regarding headphones and adapters which I will start a different thread on.

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Nebula

Re: Screen Protector or lack thereof

Next time look for a CAT catapiller S60 or Ulefone Armor 3W. if you are not familiar check out youtube for a demo on the screen 🤤
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Are we supposed to consider them as replacement of the Note 20 Ultra?

Highlighted
Comet

no samsung phone until the s10 and note 10 ever came with a screen protector. when those came with one, all they gave you were those cheap scratch resistant film "screen protectors" which are honest and nothing's worse than stress reducers. a piece of clear packaging tape literally will give you the same results the only thing those screen protectors do our protect your fingers from running over the screen if it's been cracked they are useless
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Re: Re: Screen Protector or lack thereof

Honestly a piece of clear plastic tapeis better than keeping your screen unprotected in the long run, but since the screen protector's main job is to act like a sacrificial layer to erode with the numerous micro abrations the dust in our pockets (which include quartz sand) inflict on it.
Highlighted
Comet

and the reason why they don't provide one is because of the fact of how most of them work most screen protectors because of the glue that used to apply them prevent the phone from sending the vibrational wave to your thumb and receiving them back to be able to verify that it is your fingerprints
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Actually the reason they were providing one is just the opposite from what I get to believe. Because of the ultrasonic fingerprint sensors, the Samsung was skeptical about screen protectors put on the phone and hence they themselves included one that they tested and made sure of not interfering with the scanning. Additionally I don't think there any way you can beat the installation of a screen protector at the factory itself going through quality control checks to make sure that it works.
Highlighted
Comet

most screen protectors prevent death which is why some of them have kind of like a circle or a hole down by the fingerprint scanner so that you can still use it the only decent screen protectors for phones with fingerprint scanners are the Loca gel applied ones like Whitestone Dome glass or similar
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Please note what I said above - the hole in the centre completely negated the use of the screen protector since dust will without any doubt accumulate and seep in through that border. That is one of the main reasons why it is advised to immediately replace a tempered glass screen protector the moment the get any cracks (the soft materials are usually self healing to a certain extent and hence can still keep a seal on the screen surface)
Highlighted

To answer your other question, No AT&T did not dupe you.  Samsung does not provide screen protectors, replacement stylus (s pen) tips, or headphones in the box, as they have with previous devices.  This is only true with US destined devices, other regions got all of these things, but samsung believes that we americans will throw all of this stuff away, or simply not use it.  The cases you have purchased are likely international packaging, which is why they state that a protector is pre-installed.

The headphones can be requested free of charge though samsung support.