cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Screen is not as advertised

I have been Samsung loyal since the original Note came out. I have had ZERO issues. That has changed though recently and I am completely re-examining my next phone purchase. I bought the new note 20 ultra the day after it came out. I get home, peel the protective screen layer off and there was a chip out of the screen the size if a grain of sand. Verizon didn't believe me obviously and thought I caused the damage. Long story short, I had to pay to return the phone and get a new one. 3 weeks into my new phone there are already scratches showing up all over my screen from completely normal usage. Where I swipe up and across the screen there are scratches. This is baffling because on every single note I have purchased before I have never used a screen protector, only a Samsung LED case, and not 1 of my previous phones had any scratches after years of use. I am OCD and always make sure my hands are clean before I touch my screen. For a $1300 device to be scratching already from daily normal usage by a extremely cautious user is maddening. Im now FORCED to purchase a 60$ screen protector to keep this delicate screen from being damaged further. 

If you knew what kind of user I am, and just how careful I am with these very expensive devices, you would understand that it was not anything I did to scratch the screen, but that it is indeed the screen itself.

My hands and the screen are ALWAYS clean before I touch this phone

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Screen is not as advertised

It seems like samsung is false advertising for this new type of gorilla glass. I dropped the note 20 ultra with a TPU case on concrete the other day at about 2ft and the screen cracked near the power and volume button. The screen never cracked on my previous note 10 plus, which i dropped plenty of time on concrete and bathroom tiles with no case. The screen was just barely scratched. I'm really disappointed with this note 20 ultra and how Samsung is handling it. They keep on insisting that it's not a fault.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Note 20 ultra screen is prone to crack/crack easily

Has anyone noticed that the note 20 ultra screen is pretty fragile compared to the note 10 plus? I dropped my note 10 plus on concrete and bathroom tiles plenty of time without a case and the screen never showed any sign of crack, just ONE very light scratch. The drops were about 3 to 4ft high. The other day, my note 20 ultra fell out of my pocket onto the concrete (about 2ft high) and the screen cracked from the power button and spidered out to the volume buttons. The phone was protected with a Spigen TPU case.

Samsung is really false advertising this new gorilla glass. I can already tell that it doesn't have a high drop resistance and that statement of surviving a 6ft drop is pretty absurd. I'm already not happy about this phone's battery life with the 120Hz off and now I have this new fragile glass problem to deal with. Apparently the s20 ultra camera glass breaks out of nowhere, so hopefully it doesn't happen to the note 20 ultra because clearly a $1300 phone should not have any issues at all. 

Highlighted

On my Note 10+ I got a scratch by setting my phone face down on my desk, one week after buying it.  I was then forced to buy a plasticy screen protector that made my screen feel all rubbery, and took to scratches like rotten meat takes on maggots.  As for my Note20 Ultra 5G?  I have had it since 8/18/2020, I have no screen protector on it, and have 0 sratches.  Not even micro scratches.  I have even dropped it once as it was in my lap when I went to get out of my friends truck.  No scratches, no cracks, no shattering.  You mention that your screen is always clean before you touch it, maybe your cleaning materials are abrasive?

Highlighted
Constellation

I am OCD. NOTHING, including my cleaning cloth, which is from a $1000.00 hunting scope, is every dirty or contaminated before it touches my screen. Im telling you, its because the glass on this note 20 ultra is softer, which may make it more impact resistant, but it also means it scratches very easily. The scratches are where I use my thumb to open my screen and then down the side where I use my thumb to scroll up and down. 

Highlighted

@userKFF5XhIbvD wrote:

Im telling you, its because the glass on this note 20 ultra is softer, which may make it more impact resistant, but it also means it scratches very easily.

And I am telling you that this is not the case, or I would have scratches on my phone, which I do not.  From my experience, as I mentioned above, this screen IS more screatch resistant than that of the Note 10+.  And just so we are clear, the screen is advertised as a Gorilla Glass Victus screen, any statements after that are from Corning, not Samsung.  So unless they used a Gorilla Glass 6 or below screen on YOUR device, then it is EXACTLY as advertised.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

M8,

Watch this video.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eQG8mRlYHM

It will help.