cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constellation

Stop the bokeh effect, stop ruining the camera!

My biggest concern with the Note 20 Ultra camera  is the ridiculous amount of bokeh processing the Ultra does. This completely makes the camera useless if you often take macro shots as the software makes most of the object  in focus blurred. Actually worse, it is completely smeared. Really bad that a very capable camera is pretty much destroyed by unnecessary and bad programming.

Samsung, please gives us the raw power of the camera!

6 REPLIES 6
Astronaut

Re: Stop the bokeh effect, stop ruining the camera!

its more of the hardware than the software actually. They don't program it to do that, it dies that automatically because the sensor size of the camera is so large

the larger the sensor = the narrower the area of focus is.
Constellation

That might be the case as well but I'm pretty sure there is excessive processing happening too.
I'm a digital photographer since the Nikon Coolpix 990 came out over 20 years ago and with this Ultra camera I'm pretty sure there is more going on. I know that zooming in from a larger distance fixes the problem a bit but even than I see a software generated demarcation of created bokeh. The only way to avoid it it is to use the manual settings and choose your own aperature.

That is proof enough for me that the automatice mode processes too much. Here is a picture that makes this effect very visible. Shot in automode with the 108mp sensor. As it was very windy and raining I couldn't do manual mode.

Anyway, this phote is shouting fake bokeh

20201116_121110-01 (1).jpeg

Astronaut

These cameras are worse than 2014 cheap mid-range phone tech. Both my wife and I hate the cameras on our Note 20's. Over-processesed, lighting, stretching are all issues. 

I kid you not, it's so bad that it removes body parts from photos. We take a lot of pictures of the kids and sometimes half their body gets processed out.

Comet

Select 2x zoom. Pull the phone away from the subject. Profit!
Astronaut

Yup, it helps for sure. I've had to this myself because the picture is too blurry. But the image quality after your suggestion is still looks like it comes from a cheap phone. 

Comet

Re: Re: Stop the bokeh effect, stop ruining the camera!

Yeah, ok Chief. 🙄