cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Telephoto lens zoom problems and pro mode problem.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi guys. I know there is a post regarding the note20's telephoto lens, but it's marked solved and it is by far solved. 

I am very bad at explaining so this will be consice. 

Using the camera in normal mode:

The telephoto lens has 1x to 5x optical zoom. It is only when I am at 5x or more the telephoto kicks in. By my understanding at this point, it's now a mixture of optical and digital zoom.

But, if I aim out my window at 5x, the telephoto kicks in, and if I pan slowly so it starts focusing on things inside my house, it kicks back to the top lens. 

EDIT: I just double checked it was switching to the top camera after the telephoto lens decided not to work, as I was not using the 108mp mode. And it switches itself to the 108mp (middle camera)! Even though I am not using the 108mp mode.

EDIT2: Wow..So, I was trying to figure it out. When I mentioned it switching cams after 5x zooming (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sIae3I0-2U

I covered  all lens except the bottom telephoto lens. And I found out that it wasn't even using the telephoto lens. It was still using the 108mp sensor, it just got clearer for some reason after 5x zoom or more was used.

Using the camera in pro mode:

Well, no matter what I want..the 108mp sensor (middle camera) is used. No way can I use the telephoto lens in pro mode.

Conclusion:

The telephoto lens only decides to work if there is sufficient light (from what I have determined).

When the telephoto lens decides not to work, it switches to the 108mp camera (middle camera) even if I am not shooting in 108mp mode.

Pro mode only uses the 108mp sensor. 

I want to control it. 

I deserve to control it.

I need to control it!

Another Edit:

When my screen is off, just holding my phone, I can feel and sometimes see (if I'm looking at it) the telephoto lens focusing. (camera not even in use)

One more Edit: 

Okay...covering all of my cameras execpt the bottom telephoto and zooming to 9x - no use of telephoto lens. Zoom to 10x or more..thats when the telephoto lens kicks in.

The Very Last Edit:

Sooooo I was just thinking...maybe it's meant to be like this. Trying to use telephoto inside vs the 108mp sensor, I think the device is meant to know that the 108mp sensor will give me the clearest shot. Cause I thought- If it was using the telephoto lens inside, without enough light it isn't going to look as good as the 108mp sensor as it grabs more light. 

The part about zooming outside from 5x to 10x and the absence of any actual camera control still exists. I'll leave this post to see what you guys think. Do you think maybe it's programmed to be this way, and not a bug?

Either way. with lens attachments, it's very important to be able to select the camera in use. I literally can't use a lens attachment atm because the cameras switch too often.

EDIT: After a few hours I received this response from Samsung. It confirms my suspicion of the 108mp camera being switched due to low light and provides some objective info.

Screenshot_20200828-194159_Samsung Members.jpg

Basicaly, Samsung needs to update the phone to allow us to chose what camera we want to use. And for the telephoto, make sure your lighting is good enough.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Telephoto lens zoom problems and pro mode problem.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

No further discussion is needed for me.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Telephoto lens zoom problems and pro mode problem.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

No further discussion is needed for me.

View solution in original post