JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Unlocked vs Carrier (T-Mobile) Note20 Ultra - Access program

(Topic created: 08-05-2020 12:12 PM)
JoshuaP
Asteroid
Options
Note20

I was wondering what the differences will be for the Note20 Ultra between the Unlocked version and the T-Mobile Carrier version. From what I read, it looks like hardware is exactly the same.

I usually buy from T-Mobile, but I always thought there were advantages to the unlocked version, is this true, and if so what? or should I just get the carrier version?

Also, does anyone know if the Note20 Ultra will be available on the Subscription Samsung Access program?

19 Replies
Options
Note20
unlocked phones can use any sim card where some networks like Verizon and Sprint use a CDMA type of sim where only their sims work on that phone for use on that network
Ziltaris
Galaxy
Options
Note20
And some features like WiFi calling will only work on some carrier devices.
Using a Galaxy S7 Edge (SM-G935A) on ATT with Gear S2 (SM-R730A), Baseband:G935AUCS2APH1, Kernel:3.18.20-8575098
userjp2SYFtFer
Constellation
Options
Note20

Is there any truth in a T-mobile branded phone is better tuned to its network and will get better reception?

JoshuaP
Asteroid
Options
Note20

IDK, I would love to know. I also heard you lose RCS and video calling. Would love to know for sure though, granted, we have switched to mainly whatsapp video calling now-a-days.

0 Likes
userbKPJC4KWfv
Constellation
Options
Note20

I haven't lost RCS and video calling on my unlocked Note 10 +. 

JoshuaP
Asteroid
Options
Note20

That is good to know. I may try out the unlocked with the note 20, but keep my note 9 to compare signal, but the 20 will have 5G, so may not be the best comparison, haha.

0 Likes
Kbarn
Asteroid
Options
Note20
I have the Unlocked note 20 ultra on tmobile. wifi calling and lte calling are working fine but I've lost RCS chat function. A Samsung Support Member told me the note 20 ultra doesn't currently support the Universal Profile 1.0 for RCS yet, but is a planned update (not sure if they actually knew though)

If you get your 20 Ultra and are able to get RCS Chat working could you let me know? I loved it on my note 9 and miss it.
RJCNKC80
Constellation
Options
Note20

If you download Google Messages, RCS will work on your unlocked Note 20 Ultra on T-Mobile.

Solution
JohnLoose
Supernova
Options
Note20

@JoshuaP @userbKPJC4KWfv @userjp2SYFtFer 

• The hardware should be the same.
  • The firmware version and updates will differ as carriers work on those themselves.
  • Unlocked devices also are freer of "Bloatware".

I don't like being locked in so don't choose locked devices, but you can learn more below:

--

Did this reply help? Be sure to click" ✓ Accept as Solution" if you found this reply solved your issue or pointed you in the right direction. You can also click the heart to let me know your appreciation!