JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Unlocked vs Carrier (T-Mobile) Note20 Ultra - Access program

(Topic created: 08-16-2020 04:04 PM)
JoshuaP
Asteroid
Options
Note20

I was wondering what the differences will be for the Note20 Ultra between the Unlocked version and the T-Mobile Carrier version. From what I read, it looks like hardware is exactly the same.

I usually buy from T-Mobile, but I always thought there were advantages to the unlocked version, is this true, and if so what? or should I just get the carrier version?

Also, does anyone know if the Note20 Ultra will be available on the Subscription Samsung Access program?

19 Replies
JohnLoose
Supernova
Options
Note20

@JoshuaP you shouldn't lose RCS or video calling FYI.

This reply help you out or solve your issue?

Let us know by accepting it as the solution. This lets others find that solution easily as well and is really appreciated.

1. Login to the Samsung Members app or site
  2.  Open the thread you posted.
  3. Click or tap "Accept as a solution"

To accept a post as a solution:

• On the web you can click "Accept as solution".
  • In the Samsung Members app find the post that helped, and tap the three vertical dots next to it, then tap "Accept as solution".

Your issue not resolved? Reply back with more info or the troubleshooting you've done so we can better assist.

Note: Notification emails do not accept replies. Login to the community to respond to this thread.
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Note20

@JohnLoose 

When you speak of firmware version and updates, was your experience that the updates came sooner than most carriers?

0 Likes
userw3exzithUw
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20

There is difference between unlocked and carrier branded models of Note 20 Ultra 5G.

Unlocked version ( SM-N986U1)  doesn't support mmWave Bands where carrier branded version ( ( SM-N986U) do support mmWave Bands.

For more details, refer to https://www.phonemore.com/compare/phones/galaxy-note-20-ultra-5g-sm-n986u-128gb-vs-galaxy-note-20-ul...

0 Likes
Demetryj
Constellation
Options
Note20

You will lose Rcs as far as text messages. You will also lose video calling. Google duo and Android messenger will make up for those. I Perfer Samsung messages so I will get the t-mobile branded note 20 through Samsung . I have a unlocked phone now and I miss my Rcs. You can flash the phone didn't feel like doing that. 

JohnLoose
Supernova
Options
Note20

You should have RCS now if supported in your country -- https://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-messages-gets-powered-google-chat

0 Likes
Kbarn
Asteroid
Options
Note20
JohnLoose,
I lost RCS Chat as well. Samsung Support said the unlocked 20 ultra doesn't currently support Universal Profile 1.0 for RCS yet. They did say it was a planned update but didn't know anything more.
Kbarn
Asteroid
Options
Note20
haha, I had actually found that video a few days ago and was going to post about it.

this does work. it also got me HD VoLTE calling as well.

you can even set your default caller back to the Samsung one and it keeps the RCS options.
0 Likes
MattMaguire
Asteroid
Options
Note20
just bought note20 ultra unlocked . any issues with Verizon 5g service
0 Likes
userJzwXfOeiMQ
Constellation
Options
Note20
Not sure what RCS is or what it affects but I can confirm on my unlocked note 20 ultra, you do lose video calling 😔. On the phone with T-mobile who transferred me to Samsung and both said 🤷‍:male_sign:. No help whatsoever, they don't even recognize it to be an issue. The only thing I can probably do is flash the T-mo rom like other users have mentioned since the two companies responsible don't seem to know.
0 Likes
VisualPro
Asteroid
Options
Note20

I have the Note 20 Ultra SM-N986U1 which is XAA (US Unlocked). Since I was missing the T-Mobile Video calling, I dowloaded the T-Mobile Firmware (SM-N986U) with TMB CSC.. Once the T-Mobile firmare is flashed (Did backup prior to flashing since it wiped out the contents), the phone booted up with T-Mobile boot logo and got all the T-Mobile features back.  

Using non-Wifi, did the speedtest and notice the download speed is 142mb compared to 96mb using the original unlocked firmware.  Restored from backup and I'm all set 😉