Original topic:

Where is ESIM setting in unlocked Note20 U?

(Topic created: 09-10-2021 12:58 PM)
ddormammu
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20
Its been 6 months since T-mobile enabled ESIM for Note20 Ultra,  and there is still no setting in my unlocked Note 20 Ultra phone. When I talk to either Samsung or TMobile customer support,  they says its because of the other. Its ridiculous how as companies both have been lying to us. 

I posted about this earlier in this forum but no mods ever replied. 
Jamess467
Sun
Options
Note20
Yes. I see it's t-mobile you're going through. You should have that option.
0 Likes
Thronnos
Astronaut
Options
Note20
He has the unlocked variant not the TMobile variant. That's the difference. Only TMO enabled eSIM in the US.
0 Likes
Options
Note20
Most of the time it will be in Settings-About Phone- Status Information and if you have esim option it will have 2 sim cards listed. One physical and one esim.
0 Likes
Options
Note20
And there should be Sim card manager in setting where you took screenshot. You don't have it. s-20-screen-2-en_311.png
ddormammu
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20
That's what I am complaining about. Samsung has not added this to the unlocked model even thought the hardware supports.
PeninaD
Comet
Options
Note20
Same still with unlocked on VZW.
NO eSIM anywhere
Thronnos
Astronaut
Options
Note20
Yeah it ONLY the TMobile variant in the US that has e-sim enabled. I'm not going to get too deep into the reasons why, but it comes down to money. And TMO, for all it's effort to solve pain points for customers, only enabled eSIM because the feds forced them to as part of the merger. The unlocked variant in the US doesn't have eSIM enabled.
ddormammu
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20
Buying a Samsung unlocked from Samsung was a mistake. After getting tired of waiting, I picked up my wife's iPhone 11 pro and the e-sim worked in it out of the box, no questions asked. That's what a truly unlocked device is to me.
0 Likes
Thronnos
Astronaut
Options
Note20
Yeah. It is frustrating, but it's less Samsungs fault and more the landscape of American networks. There are tons of other benefits to unlocked devices such as no bloat, freedom to chose what apps you want installed, etc.
ddormammu
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20

I feel Samsung sells enough devices in US to have a clout over the American carriers but it chooses to provide this sub par experience unlike Apple and Google that manage their own device and software updates to them. They have true unlocked devices. Both bloatware and feature parity would become non issue if Samsung starts selling devices through carriers but not give them software control, but Samsung doesn't do it, even though it sells unlocked devices on its own website!

0 Likes