Original topic:

Will removing the selfie camera crash the Camera app?

(Topic created: 08-01-2022 05:54 AM)
userQGIEswiTWc
Asteroid
Options
Note20

I have a Galaxy Note 20 Ultra, and I want to remove the selfie/front camera from the phone.

Will removing the selfie camera cause the Camera app to crash on launch, and make it unable to use even for the rear camera, or it will automatically switch to rear every time?

8 Replies
Oxford
Supernova
Options
Note20
Are you talking about removing the hardware on the front facing camera or just deleting the software?
0 Likes
userQGIEswiTWc
Asteroid
Options
Note20

@Oxford I'm talking about the hardware, removing the selfie camera from inside the phone.

0 Likes
Oxford
Supernova
Options
Note20
Wouldn't it be easier just to put a dot of black nail polish over the punch out?
0 Likes
userQGIEswiTWc
Asteroid
Options
Note20

@OxfordI have tried both a nail polish & electric tape, but both of them for their own reasons are failing after a while.

Plus since I have opened tons of devices before, and a Galaxy Note too, opening it and removing the camera is literally a 15 minutes job.

0 Likes
tom2055
Red Giant
Options
Note20
I believe it would cause the camera to crash. If a piece of the hardware failed it won't let the camera operate so I'd assume it's the same. Anyways, why would you want to remove the selfie camera in the first place?
0 Likes
userQGIEswiTWc
Asteroid
Options
Note20

@tom2055why I want to remove it doesnt matter really, but thanks for info.

A Nokia phone I did this before would crash the app when I switch to selfie mode and it would automatically switch to rear on launch.

Also, it would make more sense to me for the camera app to switch in rear view if one of the cameras failed, so the user can still use it until the other camera gets fixed. I guess I will have to find out the hard way if I don't get a concrete answer.

0 Likes
Waller
Astronaut
Options
Note20
I'm intrigued—have you tested this yet? I'm considering replacing the Note20 Ultra's 10MP selfish camera with an S20/S22 Ultra's superior 40MP selfie camera (if they'd even fit)
0 Likes
userQGIEswiTWc
Asteroid
Options
Note20

@WallerI haven't yet, I'm doing a little bit more research.

I'll have a Galaxy Tab on my hands within the next weeks, so I may try it on that first. Whatever happens I'll make sure to update, so you or anyone else has info that may help.

As for your case, if Samsung doesn't use any restrictions software side to prevent you from using a different camera, and the selfie camera fits the frame of the Note 20 Ultra, then you'll be fine.

0 Likes