JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

What does "com.google.android.gms.persistent takes 25 to 45%+% of CPU" mean?

(Topic created: 03-10-2021 02:21 PM)
Options
Note20

Hello,

I keep getting this message (Some app or process are overloading the system. It asks for permission to close:

com.google.android.gms.persistent 

It is always this app or process. The amount is always at least 25% and has been as high as 45%.

How do I remove this app or process?

Might be why my phone is always hot to the touch and the battery lasts under a day!

It used to last 3 days till the Android 11 update!

Just while writing this message the battery went from 21% to 19%!
SamsungRei
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Note20

Safe mode allows you to test the phone while all 3rd-party apps are disabled. If you are not receiving the same message in Safe Mode, there is most likely a 3rd-party app causing the issue. If this is the case, you would need to determine the app causing the issue and remove it.

Regretfully, if clearing the cache of the phone and Safe Mode does not help, the next step would be to factory reset the phone after completing a full backup. This may help resolve any software issues. 

If the phone continues to experience issues after the factory reset, you would need to look into repair options. You can do this by calling customer support at 1-800-786-7864 or sending a private message with the full model code and IMEI number of the phone. http://bit.ly/2XERsky

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
Solution
NikAmi
Astronaut
Options
Note20

I think that this may related to the new phone functionality that Google released in ChromeOS. I just updated my Chromebook today and was presented with the option of connecting with my phone for the new advanced features. Upon doing this I noticed a new persistent notification in my notification shade and am also having this same pop up now appearing. No apps were updated before receiving this message and the only change to my phone was that I enabled the advanced functionality between my phone and Chromebook.

usergXurz5xyIg
Constellation
Options
Note20

I think you are right as that is the last thing I did before getting the warnings... I did disable the connection of my phone from my Chromebook after reading this...

user9zwiWROBbA
Astronaut
Options
Note20

This seems to be case for me too, it started when I connected my phone to my chromebook.

Members_AvQ5wRY
Constellation
Options
Note20

I can also confirm this when using the sync with Lenovo Chromebook Flex 5. If using that feature I get the message to close it and high utilization about 1-3 times a day. Probably would be more but I don't keep my Chromebook on a lot nor always use it. So when Chromebook is off no issues. Also disabled it to test and yep, I believe we have a winner. Seems like you nailed it. Hopefully a fix will be coming soon as it's annoying and drains more battery than necessary.

0 Likes
Options
Note20
Hi, I tried safe mode and every time, the message came back in time. For me the message appeared ONLY after going to Android 11. I have Samsung Care Plus and they sent me another phone on Android 10 and all problems (battery, over heating, and browser hanging, plus the com.google.android.gms.persistent WENT AWAY. Unfortunately, the phone forced me to install Android 11 and the problems and message returned!
0 Likes
Options
Note20
Hello,

I still got the message even in safe mode.
0 Likes
userBh9QTYe9mL
Constellation
Options
Note20

Getting this myself and my battery barely lasts a day now. Something is blasting through it and I get this popup as well about com.google.android.gms.persistent

Note 20 Ultra 5G

Options
Note20
I'm getting 18 hours from my battery.
0 Likes
jpeiv4
Constellation
Options
Note20
Same notification occurs on my device. Samsung, please advise.
0 Likes