JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

What does "com.google.android.gms.persistent takes 25 to 45%+% of CPU" mean?

(Topic created: 01-26-2021 07:42 PM)
Options
Note20

Hello,

I keep getting this message (Some app or process are overloading the system. It asks for permission to close:

com.google.android.gms.persistent 

It is always this app or process. The amount is always at least 25% and has been as high as 45%.

How do I remove this app or process?

Might be why my phone is always hot to the touch and the battery lasts under a day!

It used to last 3 days till the Android 11 update!

Just while writing this message the battery went from 21% to 19%!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
NikAmi
Astronaut
Options
Note20

I think that this may related to the new phone functionality that Google released in ChromeOS. I just updated my Chromebook today and was presented with the option of connecting with my phone for the new advanced features. Upon doing this I noticed a new persistent notification in my notification shade and am also having this same pop up now appearing. No apps were updated before receiving this message and the only change to my phone was that I enabled the advanced functionality between my phone and Chromebook.

View solution in context

20 Replies
SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Note20

Just to clarify, are you using a Galaxy Note 20?

How long have your been experiencing these symptoms?

Have you had a software update to your device recently?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
Options
Note20
Note 20 Ultra 5G 512GB
About 2 to 3 weeks.
Yes, 2 Android 11 updates.
0 Likes
plano-mano
Red Giant
Options
Note20

try download samsung members app and submit a ticket.
once you open, click +, then click error report

they might be abel to tell if that app is malware or if your battery has the problem

0 Likes
Options
Note20
Hello,

Thank you. I already use the app (e.g. using it to reply to you). As for bug report, I made several including the one you recommend around 6 days ago. No reply.
0 Likes
SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Note20

I would recommend wiping the cache partition on your device. The system cache partition stores temporary system data. It's supposed to allow the system to access apps more quickly and efficiently, but sometimes things get cluttered and outdated, so a periodic cache clearing can help make the system run more smoothly. Give these steps a try: 

1. Turn off the device.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby / Power key.
  3. When the Android logo displays, release both keys.
  4. An 'Installing system update' message may show briefly before the Android Recovery menu options appear.
  5. Press the Volume down key several times to highlight Wipe cache partition.
  6. Press Bixby / Power key to select.
  7. Press the Volume down key to highlight Yes, then press the Bixby / Power key to select.
  8. When the process is complete, Reboot system now is highlighted.
  9. Press the Bixby / Power key to restart the device.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Options
Note20
Done. Real easy 🙂 Now we wait to see. 🙂
0 Likes
Options
Note20
Hello,

Has been around 2 days since I tried your solution.

No change.

The phone battery lasts under a day instead of 3 before Android 11.

The battery is hot to the touchbat all times.

I have to restart the phone every 5 to 7 minutes, when using either the Samsung Internet browser or Chrome. Why? After that point all I get is unable to find name DNS error. Reboot and all is fine for another 5 to 7 minutes.

Please I need a solution, please.
0 Likes
SamsungRyder
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Note20

After testing your devive from performing the cache partition wipe I would recommend testing your device in safe mode to see if your symptoms persist. You can do this by doing the following.

1. Turn the device off.
  2. Press and hold the Power key past the model name screen appearing on the screen.
  3. When SAMSUNG appears on the screen, release the Power key.
  4. Immediately after releasing the Power key, press and hold the Volume down key.
  5. Continue to hold the Volume down key until the device finishes restarting.
  6. When Safe mode appears in the bottom left corner of the screen, release the Volume down key.
  7. While in Safe mode, you can now uninstall apps that are causing a problem.
0 Likes
Rcaputo49
Cosmic Ray
Options
Note20
I have an Note 20 Ultra and I am having the same problem. My phone tells me that this app is draining my battery "com.google.android.gms.persistent" I have cleared the cache, which is a pain because it kills all your passwords, etc. That helped for 2 days but is back again. Tried safe mode but I don't know what to do in it. I'm in my 70s and would rather not do anything else. Is Samsung coming up with a fix?
0 Likes