JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

What is foreground sync?

(Topic created: 11-05-2020 11:56 AM)
M4TTH3W
Halo
Options
Note20

Can anyone tell me what foreground sync is? I found this option turned off by default in Samsung messages under settings and then notifications. Was just wondering what it actually does. if anyone could help I greatly appreciate it. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
chillpanda
Constellation
Options
Note20

the link just explains what foreground data and foreground sync is simply your phone using that foreground data (versus background running apps that use background data). Keep in mind this is under notification settings and not actual operating settings which means it's just  controlling whether or not you are notified every time your phone syncs. Basically, I imagine it would be annoying to open the messaging app to see a notification immediately saying synced at 6:55 AM or something so that's why it's off by default. But someone who may want to know when they last got an update of their messages would find this more useful, such as someone wanting to know if someone hasn't replied yet or if their phone hasnt synced to get a reply yet

View solution in context

6 Replies
userp9OQSjJ2ho
Constellation
Options
Note20

I would also like to know what this does. If I turn it on, it will automatically turn back off. I've been having problems with retrieving mms messages over wifi and am wondering if this is the culprit.

user9lT0OuXNRE
Constellation
Options
Note20
trying to find out how to turn my sync back on for my email, no settings changed and today it is giving an alert "sync turned off"?????
Lolee2771
Asteroid
Options
Note20
Why does it tell me that if I follow this link I may lose data or damage my phone? I would also like to know about the foreground sync in my message notification settings but I am not willing to risk damaging my phone to find out. It's also a little concerning that the person posting the link is "ANONYMOUS" and right next to the name Anonymous it says "Not applicable" with a green check mark. This is my first time in here so I'm not sure how all of this works. But when the info is from Anonymous and the site warns me of potential phone damage that's scary but then I'm conflicted bc of the "green check mark" which usually signals something has been verified. So I side with caution and will not continue with the link. If anyone on here has found the answer to "foreground sync" can you please just explain what it is without a link?
Solution
chillpanda
Constellation
Options
Note20

the link just explains what foreground data and foreground sync is simply your phone using that foreground data (versus background running apps that use background data). Keep in mind this is under notification settings and not actual operating settings which means it's just  controlling whether or not you are notified every time your phone syncs. Basically, I imagine it would be annoying to open the messaging app to see a notification immediately saying synced at 6:55 AM or something so that's why it's off by default. But someone who may want to know when they last got an update of their messages would find this more useful, such as someone wanting to know if someone hasn't replied yet or if their phone hasnt synced to get a reply yet

MrQue
Honored Contributor
Options
Note20

An Accepted Solution has been marked and provided for this thread. The thread will now be locked for further replies. in hopes to keep the integrity of the thread from steering in a non-technical manner. If you have a separate concern, feel free to post again or send one of our moderators a private message with more details. Please note duplicate posts on similar subjects starting 2/1/21, will be removed to keep our community organized and make it easier for our users to find resolutions and needed content. Remember that if you do make a post, please include as many details about your symptoms as possible. Also, make sure that your title is a good summary of the overall situation that's occurring with your product. Thank you for being part of the community!

chillpanda
Constellation
Options
Note20

I must be dumb because that doesn't help me understand why I would want it off. It explains how foreground data is what the active app would be using so why wouldn't I want it to be using data if I'm using the app? In their example with WhatsApp, if I'm sending photos and whatnot, then wouldn't I want it to use my foreground data to send those pictures? It  gives me the impression that by having it off, it won't get new messages because the app is active and won't refresh until it begins using background data by being a background  running process. 

Am I missing something here?

Because if it's off by default it means the app is not allowed to use foreground data while it's open but why would people want that? Instead of further developing the answer, it just jumps right into how to block it instead of why to block it, especially considering it's the active app running.

BUT THEN I REALIZED....

It's a setting under notifications, which means, it's not going to send you a notification every time it syncs new data. So now I get it, I'm so dumb