cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userlJ1e8riaPp
Asteroid

1 week old Note 8 scratching, manufacturer's defect or ok?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I purchased my note 8 one week ago today. I either carry phone in pocket (always alone) or in hand and I'm very careful with it. I just upgraded from a note 3 that was put through hell. I noticed a few scratches on day 3 and they appear to be getting worse. I am worried that the phone will continue to scratch so I plan on either exchanging it or just trying another brand. Most of the scratches are surface, however, on the one near the bottom I can feel my nail sink into it. The pictures attached are showing all scratches up close therefore more prominent.20171218_175548_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20171218_175614.jpg

20171218_175815.jpgCourtesy of Note 3 photography

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Vic20
Halo

Re: 1 week old Note 8 scratching, manufacturer's defect or ok?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

In all honesty, the Note 8 is basically a glass phone (front and back). Just the thought of that screams 'fragile' in my mind. So the moment I got mine, it went straight into a case. And I have had no issues swapping cases with the Note 8 (using a UAG Monarch at work and ClearView with Stand at home). And that wasn't enough, I slapped a Whitestone Dome glass protector on it too. I also clean my Note 8 using lens cloth for my glasses and lens cleaner. Sure there are a few minor cosmetic micro scratches that I see if I really look for them. But, maybe they're not really scratches but more material transfer according to Corning.

Overall, the latest iteration of the gorilla glass seems to be less scratch resistant than previous generations from what I can see. This is across all current devices from different manufacturers using gorilla glass 5 and not just with Samsung. So if you plan going with another company, make sure you know what glass screen it's using. If it's gorilla glass 5, you'll just get the same thing happening regardless of the company. So better to have a protector on it to protect the naked screen.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
usergdDq6cZF8E
Astronaut

1 week old Note 8 scratching, manufacturer's defect or ok?

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Why not just buy a case for it?
userlJ1e8riaPp
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
I am just afraid that if it scratches very easily, I will scratch it removing from the case and I hate to make the phone even bigger.
Vic20
Halo

JUMP TO SOLUTION

In all honesty, the Note 8 is basically a glass phone (front and back). Just the thought of that screams 'fragile' in my mind. So the moment I got mine, it went straight into a case. And I have had no issues swapping cases with the Note 8 (using a UAG Monarch at work and ClearView with Stand at home). And that wasn't enough, I slapped a Whitestone Dome glass protector on it too. I also clean my Note 8 using lens cloth for my glasses and lens cleaner. Sure there are a few minor cosmetic micro scratches that I see if I really look for them. But, maybe they're not really scratches but more material transfer according to Corning.

Overall, the latest iteration of the gorilla glass seems to be less scratch resistant than previous generations from what I can see. This is across all current devices from different manufacturers using gorilla glass 5 and not just with Samsung. So if you plan going with another company, make sure you know what glass screen it's using. If it's gorilla glass 5, you'll just get the same thing happening regardless of the company. So better to have a protector on it to protect the naked screen.

View solution in original post

userlJ1e8riaPp
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you for your reply. 

usergdDq6cZF8E
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION
They make something called "Skinits" They are not bulky at all.They are cheap too.Go to the website and check it out.
JohnLiles0666
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
My Note 8 Blue is Plastic in back.
Vic20
Halo

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@JohnLiles0666

The Note 8s have a glass back composed of Gorilla Glass 5. I have the Blue Note 8 and the back is glass.

JohnLiles0666
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Sounds like plastic tho.hope mine is glass

Vic20
Halo

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Should be glass. I'm not aware of a Note 8 that has a plastic backing. Its front and back are comprised of Gorilla Glass 5. I clean the front and back using a lens cleaner and lens microfiber cloth.