cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Axel_S
Constellation

AKG Earbuds sound terrible

I got the Galaxy Note 8 about 19 months ago, and the salesperson raved about the headphones that came with the new 8 line of phones (My daughter got a Galaxy S8 at the same time). Well, I got the headphones out after getting my phone all set up and tested them. I about fell over. These were garbage! Why would anyone rate these any better than a $1 store set of earbuds!!! I went ahead and ran through the SoundAlive setup since my ears are getting older and same thing. I tried my wife's Apple earbuds and they sounded great (tested to verify there wasn't an issue with the phone). I then tested my daughter's AKG earbuds thinking, maybe I got a bad set. Lo and behold, I found zero difference betweeen mine and hers. The sound was horrible. Chalk it up to salesman hype, is what I thought. I ditched the AKGs and bought a $10 set of Samsung branded earbuds of Amazon, that looked similar to the earbuds that came with my Galaxy S6. I knew there was a risk of getting Chinese knock-offs, but the reviews from the ones I bought were more positive than not. I got them and tried them out and man, did they sound beautiful (still do).

Fast forward to today and I was watching some reviews of earbuds, specifically the Samsung Galaxy Buds, and they mentioned the sound quality versus the wired AKG earbuds and they claimed that the sound was comparable. Great. Not buying those. But they also said the Buds were as good or better than the Apple Airpods. Huh? I know the Airpods are good. What are these people smoking that are stating the Buds are comparable to the AKG earbuds and better than Airpods?!?

So my question is, why do my (supposedly $100) AKG earbuds sound like garbage when all of the reviews can't say enough good things about them? I have used mine less than 10 times in the time I've had the phone. 

2 REPLIES 2
user3Uxq2Nw9zi
Astronaut

Re: AKG Earbuds sound terrible

Yes, the AKG earbuds are garbage. At first I thought that the audio quality of my S10 must be bad but when I tried two alternative earbud sets, Sony Noise Cancelling and HTC from another phone, the audio quality of the phone is excellent. I thought that perhaps the AKGs would benefit from running-in - that sometimes helps with speakers - but after hours of continuous playing via an amplifier/CD they are no better. Samsung really needs to do something about this. Garbage earphones with a AUD1400 phone is not acceptable. Fortunately any old earbuds you have lying around from previous phones will give much much better sound. And I should point out that we are not talking small, marginal "only-a-dog-will hear the difference". The difference between really good earbuds [the HTCs] and the AKGs is gross.

Highlighted
Neutron Star

Re: AKG Earbuds sound terrible

@Axel_S wrote:

I got the Galaxy Note 8 about 19 months ago, and the salesperson raved about the headphones that came with the new 8 line of phones (My daughter got a Galaxy S8 at the same time). Well, I got the headphones out after getting my phone all set up and tested them. I about fell over. These were garbage! Why would anyone rate these any better than a $1 store set of earbuds!!! I went ahead and ran through the SoundAlive setup since my ears are getting older and same thing. I tried my wife's Apple earbuds and they sounded great (tested to verify there wasn't an issue with the phone). I then tested my daughter's AKG earbuds thinking, maybe I got a bad set. Lo and behold, I found zero difference betweeen mine and hers. The sound was horrible. Chalk it up to salesman hype, is what I thought. I ditched the AKGs and bought a $10 set of Samsung branded earbuds of Amazon, that looked similar to the earbuds that came with my Galaxy S6. I knew there was a risk of getting Chinese knock-offs, but the reviews from the ones I bought were more positive than not. I got them and tried them out and man, did they sound beautiful (still do).

Fast forward to today and I was watching some reviews of earbuds, specifically the Samsung Galaxy Buds, and they mentioned the sound quality versus the wired AKG earbuds and they claimed that the sound was comparable. Great. Not buying those. But they also said the Buds were as good or better than the Apple Airpods. Huh? I know the Airpods are good. What are these people smoking that are stating the Buds are comparable to the AKG earbuds and better than Airpods?!?

So my question is, why do my (supposedly $100) AKG earbuds sound like garbage when all of the reviews can't say enough good things about them? I have used mine less than 10 times in the time I've had the phone. 

I don't want to ruin your bad experience, was there any other setting that you could try in the sound settings(some enhancements)?  I usually don't use earbuds that come with my phones, as I change phones every few months and have the box and all accessories unused, which looks good when you sell the device compelete in great condition.  I have Note10 and they also came with similar set, but with USB-C connector.  Do these AKG really sound that bad?