cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Abandoned: Note 8 Customers

I just finished a chat support session regarding the loss of GPS functionality on mine and my wife's Galaxy Note 8 phones (SM-N950U).  The support person was familiar with the problem and it seems most likely to have been caused by a software update.

The Note 8 was released in Sept. 2017, so it is only three years old.  This GPS issue has been dogging us since at least June 2020 and I see no fixes in sight and Samsung advises that the phone will NOT receive an Android 10 upgrade.  Unfortunately it seems us Note 8 users have been abandoned by Samsung.

One purchases a flagship product costing around $1000 each and this is the treatment we get?  This is the Galaxy Note product that succeeded the Note 7 disaster!   Sorry but please explain, why I would ever purchase another Samsung phone?

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted

Re: Abandoned: Note 8 Customers

who is your carrier is your phone?
Highlighted
Asteroid

T-Mobile is our carrier.  From reading community forums it appears the GPS issue crosses carriers.

Highlighted
Asteroid

honestly I want to write to the website and do it cheaper than buying it from a phone company.
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Yes, why should we. They should add us since we had the 1st device after the Note 7 disaster!!! But they don't care or even want to entertain the notion, just make more money is the objective by have us keep updating and buying new phones! Us suckers
Asteroid

I have T-mobile and my GPS is fine. I hope that doesn't go out. are you using Google. maybe you need to update the app.
Highlighted
Asteroid

Hey Shona, to be clear, the GPS works but often when using car navigation it will stop working and show us moving at 0 MPH.  Turning location off, then back on remedies the problem temporarily.  Have done a factory reset, updated everything, cleared caches, storage, etc.  I see many people complaining of the same issue, glad you don't have it.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Re: Abandoned: Note 8 Customers

I actually did have this problem with my note 8. sad they won't do anything about it. I switched to note 10.
Highlighted

I would try flashing unlocked software it's your model number with a 1 on the end. so its (SM-N950U1) do a fresh flash meaning let it wipe the phone out. On Odin it would be CSC not CSC Home. I hope this works
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: Re: Abandoned: Note 8 Customers

trying, my note does the same, gps stops working often and shows 0 mph.
I restart maps and it works again for a while.
Happened after android 9 update