cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userZbQCdnAANE
Astronaut

Re: Annoying ads on my Note 8 Lockscreen

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I just removed the Peel remote app and the flashlight app and now the ads appear to be gone.  We'll see.

userFF70OQmf2j
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yes, yes, yes. I removed the flashlight and the ads are gone...

userpCA8ZoeiKo
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hold your finger on it just like ant other app then click on remove.

Highlighted
userfhWChhC4E2
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I had the same thing happen. I didn't realize why until I started getting a "some apps or processes are overloading the system (cpu) and need to be closed" and indicated that it was the Google play services app. So I did a web search and the basic solution was to uninstall the google play service app, then I cleared the cache on my phone (in that order). After that, the ads disappeared. The ads appear to be part of the google play services app.  If you have programs that need the google play services app, it seems as if we are stuck with the ads. They do use up a lot of data and wears down the phone battery faster. I hope this helps answer your question.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It's not so much the app itself. It is most the times the apps downloaded from within the store. Even carrier apps as well...like Verizon. On T Mobile here and have dowloaded a TON of apps from the play store. It is only when you narrow down the app itself you find the culprit, but it's not the Play Store app itself per say. This is also very easy to test and prove. Just need time to do so. So, just getting rid of the play store app in general, not using, or updating within the play store is not the answer.

userzRaVWrjpQc
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Samsung never advertises on the lock screen, unlike Amazon Fire tablets. I don't know how this happened, but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with an application you downloaded, seems to not be from the Play Store.

userkSsgWHFLHy
Constellation

Ads are Gone!!!!! Yay!!!!! Try this, no downloading additional apps.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Goldenco wrote:

When my Note 8 is fully charged, an ad show up on the lockscreen.  Not happy.  There is another post on this but it didn't work (Adhell has been removed from Google Play).

Finally figured out how to identify which app is causing the pop up ads. 

- When ad pops up, click the RECENTS button

- you should see all the apps that are open

- the window with the ad might have a green 'N' or a logo you have never seen before.

- then click and hold the logo for the window with the ad ( When I did this,  the green 'N' changed to the ESPN logo) 

- uninstall immediately 

Boom!!! No more ads !!!!!!! 

It's been a whole 2 days ad free. From what i hear,  downloading the apps that stop ads, are actually installing viruses.

I'm disappointed that it was the ESPN app. I Would have never guessed it was the culprit  

user17qqbKWjkJ
Constellation

Re: Ads are Gone!!!!! Yay!!!!! Try this, no downloading additional apps.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Below fixed the problem for me. Was a legacy  OS12 app from an HTC transfer causing the problem.

When ad pops up, click the RECENTS button

- you should see all the apps that are open

- the window with the ad might have a green 'N' or a logo you have never seen before.

- then click and hold the logo for the window with the ad ( When I did this,  the green 'N' changed to the ESPN logo) 

- uninstall immediately 

Black Hole

Re: Ads are Gone!!!!! Yay!!!!! Try this, no downloading additional apps.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@user17qqbKWjkJ: Thank you for sharing.

Bluesugardog
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm not sure how flashlight was the solution.   I had the Google ads with the globe dropdown.  In  addition lock screen ads were annoying.  I seen posts about restoring phone, install antivirus because they have virus,  etc.  

In reality,  you probably installed play store app and gave it permissions to all kinds of things on the phone so they can bloat your phone full of ads.  As a software developer,  I think those type of devs are snakes. There's proper ways to advertise without hijacking a person's phone with unwanted features when your app is not running.   Read feedback before installing.   The culprit that got me was

S PHOTO EDITOR.  got many other people as well because these people name their apps as if they were Samsung.  I.E. S Pen is Samsung.   Fool me once but not twice.   Look at who the devs are and the feed back then you'll be ok.   Note: devs need to make money for their apps so you might find ads in their software but should never run ads when their app is shut down (closed).