cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userlGqpO88mLh
Constellation

Battery drain after Pie update

Since the Verizon Android Pie update a week ago, on two occasions so far, the battery on my phone has completely died in a matter of hours. Both times while the phone was not in use by me, but while it was sitting still and not actively being used. It never did that prior to the Pie update. I've downloaded no new apps whatsoever, they are the same ones I've had forever. Does anyone have a remedy for this?

20 REPLIES 20
user2h2M4SOESP
Constellation

Re: Battery drain after Pie update

I have had the same issue. Prior to update/Pie, I had absolutley no issue with the Battery.  Afterwards it now drains in half the time or more.  I have checked for background running apps, set battery to optimized etc. I really should not have to do all this since it was working flawlessly prior.  I bought the phone because I had a Note 4 previous and believe me when I say I know what dealing with battery drain is like and this is now actually worse the the Note 4 right now. I also have went through all the articles that are out there right now but none of them seem to effect anything.  

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

@user2h2M4SOESP Have you tried all of these troubleshooting steps here?

• Turn off Bluetooth or Wi-Fi when not in use.
  • Turn on Airplane Mode when connectivity isn't needed.
  • Turn off Background Data.
  • Turn off Auto Sync.
  • Adjust Location settings or disable Location.
  • Reduce Brightness.
  • Turn on Auto-Brightness.
  • Decrease screen timeout settings.
  • Turn on a power saving mode.
  • Turn off any themes with animations or a large file size.
  • Turn off live wallpaper.
userCh1oT60WqL
Constellation

My brother and i have Note 8's also and are both experiencing the same issues. I am at work right now at 11:30am and my phone has 24% battery. Unacceptable. I never had to charge it mid day before the Pie update, and now I cannot leave the house without a charger and backup battery pack. 

This is infuriating. What made me more infuriated was your post:

@SamsungQue wrote:

@user2h2M4SOESP Have you tried all of these troubleshooting steps here?

• Turn off Bluetooth or Wi-Fi when not in use.
  • Turn on Airplane Mode when connectivity isn't needed.
  • Turn off Background Data.
  • Turn off Auto Sync.
  • Adjust Location settings or disable Location.
  • Reduce Brightness.
  • Turn on Auto-Brightness.
  • Decrease screen timeout settings.
  • Turn on a power saving mode.
  • Turn off any themes with animations or a large file size.
  • Turn off live wallpaper.

Are you tone deaf? I never had to worry about any of this a few weeks ago, and if I have to run down this list every day to make it thru the day with my phone, then it will be my last Samsung phone. 

We need a fix immediately. I use my phone for work, and this update has been a MASSIVE headache since it was installed. 

useraRQmi50fqA
Constellation

I'm having the same issue. I first noticed it when I charged my phone before I went to sleep. I unplug it because I don't charge it at night. Before the pie update I would wake up to about a 94ish percent battery. Now my phone will be completely dead by morning. I was late to work one time cause I use my phone as an alarm and I didnt have an alarm cause the phone was dead. Either roll us back to the previous update or fix whatever is cause the batt6to drain. You are at a point where you are now messing with people's livelihood.

That is a solution but than so is not owning a phone. With all you listed above the phone becomes an $1000. paper weight. No disrespect meant.

userIZmOs6Zr6Y
Constellation

i have the same problem my note 8 drains really fast as well as my s3 frontier watch

Samsung Care Ambassador

The best thing is backing up your data and performing a factory reset.

userZ5K8GHbq0V
Constellation

A factory reset is not an option for most, if not all of us. Oddly I went through the Note 4 debacle too, like another poster on this thread. 

So, the reason I'm here is obvious but I have one question.

IS YOUR PHONE CARRIER VERIZON?

The reason I ask is my husband and I both have Note 8s activated on the same date. His is on AT&T and I am on Verizon. He is having no problems at all and well you know mine. If in fact the problem is by carrier, then it's an errant piece of code, the same problem the Note 4 had.

The other thing I have noticed is the problem is manifesting mainly in the Galaxy 8 based phones. It's also seems to occur  in end of production Galaxy 7s, and early production Galaxy 9s.

I'd really be interested in your carriers if you wouldn't mind sharing.

Thanks

L.

userfoAT9h2SuG
Constellation

I am on ATT and my note 8's battery is draining like it's a 5 year old phone. The strangest part is, I got the update pretty late, my husband has a S8 and he updated in February but I received the update in May, when I was out out of country. Battery did just fine while I was away, the second I came back to the US and started using ATT, I started noticing issues. Use to go to bed at 98% and wake up at 96% battery, now it goes down to 69% halfway through the night and just woke up at 26%. This is unacceptable because my phone's battery use to be solid!

Because it did fine outside the US and started draining when I got back, I suspected it was the 5G and our phones are not optimized for it but nope, phone doing the same on wifi. Have to ask my husband if he has experienced any problems with his S8 but his phone use to be be and still is always hooked up to the outlet so don't know how much his answer will help!

Samsung needs to fix this problem ASAP. If this is a trick like Apple, to slow down old phones so people upgrade, this will be my last Samsung!