cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userBfpFSqAvat
Asteroid

Battery drain since Android 9 update

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi - has anyone found a resolution to battery drain issues since the Android 9 update?  I have a Note 8, and I haven't had battery issues until the day of installing the Android 9 system update.  It is awful!  

Ive contacted Samsung support, but they were of no help - just told me to put my phone in Safe Mode.  What is the point of spending a ton of money on a phone to keep it in a status that pairs it with phones of 15 years ago? I get what Safe Mode is, however, that does not resolve the problem or cause, and I want to use my Note 8 like it is supposed to be used. 

Basically, I'm thinking I'm going to have to do a factory reset - even though I am trying to not have to do so - but I figured to try the community to see if anyone has had a fix to their battery issues since the Android 9 update. Thank you!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Battery drain since Android 9 update

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I recommend to do the factory reset. Just be sure to do a complete backup before hand. Many times after an update, a reset is needed to help stabilize everything and clear out any files that may have become corrupted.

6 REPLIES 6
DeezNuts305
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I've noticed his too, also have a Note 8. At the end it's just their way of forcing us into a new phone.

userBfpFSqAvat
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I agree as this is what it seems to be!  My spouse has a Google Pixel and never experiences battery issues with updates. His phone is older than mine, but the battery is still performing better.

userxjbodbHhxl
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Honestly, if the Battery drain has went on for more than just a day...You might want to check the Device Care app and see what is using the most power. If you can't find an obvious cause after doing some basic troubleshooting, then a Factory Reset might be in order.

Google Maps was draining an absurd amount of power after I updated my Note 8. However, I put the app to sleep and since then my battery life has improved quite a bit (included screenshots). There's always an app or two that might behave oddly after such a major update, Device Care is a helpful tool for finding the offending app.

userBfpFSqAvat
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My apologies. I did not include in my initial post that I've already and have been utilizing device manager.  There is nothing out of the ordinary there. The battery drain specifically started after the Android 9 update. In addition to device manager, I've double checked my settings, cleared the phone cache and a hard reboot, and also tried calibrating the battery a couple times by letting it die and then charging to 100%.  Nothing has helped.  

I should have shared all of that with my initial post. I'm sorry! 

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I recommend to do the factory reset. Just be sure to do a complete backup before hand. Many times after an update, a reset is needed to help stabilize everything and clear out any files that may have become corrupted.

userBfpFSqAvat
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you!