cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Battery utilization displays wrong app.

I recently saw a large battery drain and went to Device Care / Battery to determine cause. 

At the top of the list, was Microsoft Word utilizing much battery in foreground and background.  The issue is I have Microsoft Word disabled, and wasn't using it.  I found the culprit by clicking on Battery usage button to the left of the Usage by apps.  It shows Microsoft Office in stead of Microsoft Word.  However, I don't have Microsoft Office installed.  By clicking on the Microsoft Office icon, it reveals the actual culprit to be Microsoft OneNote, which I was using heavily that day.

The pictures I'm attaching don't show my heavy usage because I just created the pictures today to show you where I looked.

I don't know if this is a Microsoft issue or a Samsung Issue.  In addition to happening on my Note8, it happens on my Tab S3.  I recently read that Microsoft was offering a bundled app of Office to provide a portal into their Office apps, but I haven't installed the new bundled app and wasn't using it.

If this is a Microsoft issue, Samsung, please forward it to your Microsoft liaison.

(Sorry, pictures got out of order, but they're numbered for easy reference.)Screenshot_20200301-122352_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20200301-122300_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20200301-122201_Device care.jpgScreenshot_20200301-122121_Device care.jpgScreenshot_20200301-123503_Gallery.jpg

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: Battery utilization displays wrong app.

All of Microsoft's products are integrated heavily with Office. Doing research on OneNote it uses libraries and directories in Office. I'm not surprised that you see references to Office and Word. Probably OneNote's word processing features use a subset of Word's capability. 

You said "Microsoft Word utilizing much battery in foreground and background" but your screenshots show it using 0.2% and 0 min foreground and 0 min background. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

I said in my post, 'The pictures I'm attaching don't show my heavy usage because I just created the pictures today to show you where I looked.'

When I first noticed the problem last week, I had 4 hours of foreground use and 3 hours of background use.

The amount of the usage isn't responsible for the incorrect app name showing up.

Since Word and Excel are disabled on my devices, seeing what looked like Word was running made me fear I had malware that was stealing data, especially because it also happened in my Samsung Secure Folder.

Whatever the cause, Microsoft and / or Samsung should fix it so the user experience when researching battery drains is accurate and doesn't cause unnecessary alarm.

Highlighted
Asteroid

I got an email from the community asking if this problem is resolved.

It isn't resolved.

Thank you.