This exact problem has recently started for me as well. All Day Appointments appear one day early, You cannot generate an All Day appointment from the phone and synce back to office 365. If you then go back to it and change the time it still does not synce back to outlook. If you create an event with a time on the phone it works fine. The App is now unuseable as 100's of appointments set as all day are wrong. Samsung PLEASE FIX!
Same exact problem on my NOTE 9 and My Tab A. Started happening Monday. Been doing it ever since. I loaded two third-party calendar apps on my phone and they are not effected. Only the stock Samsung calendar app.
I am also having this issue and can confirm that Microsoft cannot help. I also tried the various potential solutions offered by Samsung's tech support (deleting calendar storage, cache wipe, etc.) with no luck. At least I am not the only one and hopefully this issue can be resolved.
Same here. Galaxy S10, Verizon, Exchange plan through company. Any all day appointments from Outlook on my laptop or my office administrator show a day earlier on my phone using either the stock Samsung calendar or Google calendar. Any all day appointment scheduled from my phone does not show on my Outlook calendar. Specific appt times work fine either way.
Having this issue with our company exchange email and samsung calendars. This post on google forums: https://support.google.com/calendar/thread/10005798?hl=en seems to have isolated the issue. Google calendar is having the same issue. I exported (ICS calendar file) an all day event that was appearing 1 day early from my samsung calendar and can confirm when opening it in a text editor, that the time zone is indeeed wrong. Exported a non-all-day event and it looked fine. So I believe this is the issue. They really need to get this fixed.
I have the same problem. I'm using Outlook365 and Samsung Calendar app version 4.4.04.7
All-day meetings in Outlook 365 are shifted to one day earlier on the Samsung tablet. Meetings with a specified time slot are not moved.
The problem shows up on my Samsung Tab A, but not on my Pixel phone.
Same problem here with a S7 edge. I discovered the issue after my phone updated the samsung email app to v 6.0.03.20. Resolved the problem by uninstalling the updates. Running v6.0.02.10 now. Waiting for next release to see if it gets fixed.
Samsung, I hope you are reading this and if you do not work for samsung and find yourself here please take a minute to sign up and post your issue and smash some like as the more people who report this possibly gets it fixed sooner as this is a MAJOR issue for some of us. Many of us have gone through hours of possible fixes and we now have reports for multiple phone models and tablets on multiple carriers with all the same issue. If you are reading please post model #, carrier. The symptoms are identical so we know the issue and if you are an IT support person encourage your employees with the issue to post as this needs to get fixed ASAP!