cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userqT8DB1bfC3
Cosmic Ray

Can’t turn on Bixby voice activation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

When I try to turn on voice activation for Bixby in my Galaxy Note 8, it prompts me to talk to the phone, to let Bixby get familiarized with my voice.  But no matter how loud I talk, it says it can’t hear me.  I tried restarting the phone, and I verified the latest version of Bixby software is installed.  If I talk to the phone for other purposes, it hears and understands me fine.  What could be the problem?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Can’t turn on Bixby voice activation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userqT8DB1bfC3 Could you try testing the Bixby activation while the phone is booted into Safe Mode

8 REPLIES 8
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey, first make sure your phone is completely up to date (any new update needs to be installed before completing next steps). Next go to Settings > Apps > Bixby Voice > Storage > tap Clear Data. Repeat these steps for Bixby Home, Bixby Service, Bixby Vision and Bixby Voice. Let us know if this solves the issue. Thanks!

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Were this troubleshooting steps helpful with the activation? 

userqT8DB1bfC3
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I performed the procedure described, then restarted my phone.  Prior to that, I just installed the latest Android update  from Verizon.  Now when I launch Bixby, and I get to the point of familiarizing Bixby with my voice, the same problem occurs that was occurring before.  After I've been speaking for a few minutes, Bixby says it can't hear me.

userqT8DB1bfC3
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION
I want to clarify one thing; Bixby says it can't hear me after a few seconds, not a few minutes.
userqT8DB1bfC3
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yesterday a new version of Bixby was pushed to my phone, which I installed.  The problem still exists.  The version of Bixby voice is 1.0.24.0

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userqT8DB1bfC3 Have you double checked to make sure that Bixby has permission to access the microphone? Also, if you record a video, do you have any issues with the microphone? 

userqT8DB1bfC3
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

bixby voice and bixby service say "no permissions required"  and if I go to the permissions screen it says "no permissions".  If I click the overflow button, there is an item "all permissions".  Bixby home has some permissions explicitly listed but not microphone, and the same item in the overflow menu.  If I make a video recording there is sound.

Highlighted

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userqT8DB1bfC3 Could you try testing the Bixby activation while the phone is booted into Safe Mode