cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
user4rG8sd2d86
Cosmic Ray

Cant update to android Oreo, its 2019 already!

Can someone please help. My phone tells me my software is up to date, but its not even close. Samsung tells me to talk to my carrier, my carrier tells me to talk to samsung. Niether of them will help me and this is frustrating. Im stuck on android 7.1.1 and my security update is 10/1/2017.

7 REPLIES 7
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Cant update to android Oreo, its 2019 already!

When Samsung receives updates from Google, they are modified for the Samsung devices and then sent to the service providers. The service providers then modify the updates for their services and push them to the customers in waves. If there are no updates available in Smart Switch, you will need to speak with your service provider.

Samsung Care Ambassador

@user4rG8sd2d86 

I'm sorry you're unable to update your Note 8 to the latest version of Android and latest security updates.

You can take your phone to your local UBreakIFix and they can update it for you.

By chance, was your phone carrier locked to one carrier and you unlocked it and switched to another carrier?

I only ask because I had the same issue when I had an ATT Note 8 and switched to TMobile and brought my Note with me. My phone would not download any of the monthly security updates, and always said it was latest software even when TMobile released the Oreo update to their phones. I eventually had to buy a prepaid ATT sim card and bought some data, popped that sim card in my phone and downloaded Oreo, put my TMobile sim card back in and reset my phone and then all of the TMobile software began downloading to my phone. After that, I was able to get all updates from TMobile directly.

At the time, there were no UBreakIFix even close to where I live, so the whole getting an ATT prepaid sim to download the update was the only option I had.

Hope this helps you!

If I've helped you hit the 'like' on my post, and if I resolved your issue then mark my post as a 'solution' 😊

user4rG8sd2d86
Cosmic Ray

thanks for the reply, but its an att phone and im on att. i ended up dropping it off at the ubreakifix shop and they are attempting to update it.

Using Smary Switch works usually

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

Ok, great! Hopefully the UBreakIFix will be able to update it for you with no problem! 😊

Chriscancu
Constellation

I have posted twice a way you can fix this yourself. Guessing moderators don't like that idea.

Chriscancu
Constellation

Just tried again. Sorry. It won't post it.