cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chemlosc
Asteroid

Chat mode on Messaging app no longer working on Note8

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I've recently started having a problem with the chat mode on the default messaging app on samsung.  Previously I was able to use chat mode just fine, with no problems.  However now for the last few days, the chat mode will no longer send messages.  It auto selects to use chat over SMS, and will act like the message is sent by giving me a date, but will not display a recieved or read notification, and the message never sends or auto switches to send it as SMS.

I've tried clearing the messaging app cache, cleared the phone cache, and even uninstalled new apps that have been downloaded since this issue started.  I have not done a factory reset of the phone, and reluctant to resort to this.  I have seen other threads from 6+months ago about a similar issue, but again the fixes they mentioned were clearing the cache and that has not worked for me.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
chemlosc
Asteroid

Re: Chat mode on Messaging app no longer working on Note8

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Realized that it was not working on neither of our phones. I contacted sprint, and they recommended updating the profile and prl and restarting the phone. Works perfectly now.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION

what are the carrier, model number, and software build number from the settings > about phone?

what is the messaging app version?

chemlosc
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Sprint, SM-N960U, N950USQS5CRJ3

Messages Version 4.4.30.42
Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION

so the model number is n950u right? not n960u?

also, what is chat mode? is there a button that shows chat mode?

chemlosc
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Apologies, yes N950U

So under the messages app, it gives the option for sending text messages as either chat messages if the receiving phone is compatible (for instance my significant other has a note 8 as well), vs standard SMS. The chat function allows for received and read receipts and seeing if the other person is respond/typing, etc.
Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION

i think that feature was there briefly for att note 8 i used to use then disappeared real quick. now that i'm using vzw note 9 and i never seen it. i'm thinking that feature has been removed.

chemlosc
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Realized that it was not working on neither of our phones. I contacted sprint, and they recommended updating the profile and prl and restarting the phone. Works perfectly now.

View solution in original post

Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION

so there is a chat mode?

userWqVMj7ffac
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Please explain how to do that

usermapgJvegoC
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Did u find a solution to this issue? 

I'm currently having same issue with my new S10.

@chemlosc wrote:

I've recently started having a problem with the chat mode on the default messaging app on samsung.  Previously I was able to use chat mode just fine, with no problems.  However now for the last few days, the chat mode will no longer send messages.  It auto selects to use chat over SMS, and will act like the message is sent by giving me a date, but will not display a recieved or read notification, and the message never sends or auto switches to send it as SMS.

I've tried clearing the messaging app cache, cleared the phone cache, and even uninstalled new apps that have been downloaded since this issue started.  I have not done a factory reset of the phone, and reluctant to resort to this.  I have seen other threads from 6+months ago about a similar issue, but again the fixes they mentioned were clearing the cache and that has not worked for me.