cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Texastornado
Cosmic Ray

Galaxy Note 8 has been shutting down on it's own for months.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My phone has been shutting off on it's own, sometimes twice a week, for months now. I have contacted Verizon and they haven't been much help. It didn't appear to be a wide spread problem when I contacted them a little over a month ago.    It may have started happening in Nov/Dec..  not sure.  It mostly will shut down in the wee morning hours while i am sleeping and then i wake up and see why my alarm hasn't gone off.  It doesn't restart on it's own. Just shuts down without warning. No noises.. nothing.      What could it be?  Is anyone else having issues?  I think the only apps I have loaded are from the Google App store.  Are there any known apps that could be causing this?  Do I need to trade this in for a new phone or is this something that others have had a problem with and have fixed it?   Thanks.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Texastornado
Cosmic Ray

Re: Galaxy Note 8 has been shutting down on it's own for months.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Texastornadowrote:

@useretvtm55JMg  I filed a report on Feb 28 and they say they will get back to me soon.  My phone has not turned off since the last update, which I believe was on Feb 22 or 23rd.  I'm hoping maybe that took care of it.  We'll see.  Please let me know if you find anything else about it.  I can't believe more people aren't reporting this issue. It can't just be a handful of us. Can it? Hmm..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I finally heard back from Samsung and they wanted me to send something else and file a new error report.  Since it's been almost 2 weeks since the last update to my phone and it hasn't turned off since then, I will wait and if it happens again then I will file another report.  So there was no solution to my problem at this time.    Thanks to the few that had thoughts about it.  Man Wink

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION

what is the sw build number from the settings > about device?

have you tried to put the device into safe mode and idle for overnight to see if it happens?

also, clear cache from the recorvery mode?

Texastornado
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Build # NMF26X.N950USQS3BRB1

I have not put in to safe mode to idle overnight.  Verizon suggested I do it for 3 days! That's way to long. Smiley Sad 

I dont' think i have ever cleared cache in recovery mode.. unless that's the same as just clearing the cache. I once wiped the cache partition, as suggested by something that I read a month ago. 

Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION

i would say just exchange it. it should be still under warranty

Texastornado
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So this is unusal for the Galaxy Note 8? 

Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION

i believe it is unusual for any electronic devices to be off on its own randomly. unless there is a setting for that to happen and the owner set that up to be that way...

which come to think of it, there is a setting for auto restart. have you checked if that is on accidentally? i know that is supposed to be restart but who knows...

Texastornado
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userbcMKA9DSlI wrote:

i believe it is unusual for any electronic devices to be off on its own randomly. unless there is a setting for that to happen and the owner set that up to be that way...

which come to think of it, there is a setting for auto restart. have you checked if that is on accidentally? i know that is supposed to be restart but who knows...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Why did you ask for the build number, @userbcMKA9DSlI ?  What can that tell?     If I don't get any other users stating they have or have had this issue.. then I'm calling Verizon in a day or so.  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey @Texastornado

I was curious if you could go into the Samsung Plus App and send an error report on this through there. It would help us narrow down what might be going on. Otherwise, letting us know if the device is fully up to date will also help us help you out further.  ^_^

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Texastornado
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungViv       Thanks.   I checked systems update and it shows i was last updated on Feb 22, 2018 to N950USQS3BRB1                      How do I send an error report. I do have Samsung Plus on my phone. 

usermVXGHF3MhN
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have just recently been having this issue. The first time was this past weekend and then it shut down on its own again today. It did not restart on its own. I had to plug it in to bring it to life although it had a full charge.