cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userYl3B1FNf9b
Constellation

Is the Note8 Waterproof?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Is the note 8 waterproof? If so why does it restart when water gets into the usb/charging port?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Honored Contributor

Re: Waterproof

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello @userYl3B1FNf9b

While the Note 8 is liquid resistant (IP68) it is not liquid proof. While rare, it could get liquid into it and cause serious damage if it does.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

6 REPLIES 6
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello @userYl3B1FNf9b

While the Note 8 is liquid resistant (IP68) it is not liquid proof. While rare, it could get liquid into it and cause serious damage if it does.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userYl3B1FNf9b
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Ok thank you

emrahsaglam
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

No, it is not waterproof. There's an information which 1,5 meter or 30 minutes under water on samsung website but my phone dropped from my pocket and it was about 5-10 minutes under rain. Now it's not working and Samsung Turkey does not cover it with warranty! There will appear cost almost price of new one. Default procedure is changing mainboard ant battery and may be price will be increase..

https://www.samsung.com/tr/support/mobile-devices/can-i-use-my-galaxy-note8-at-sea/

austintx
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungViv wrote:

Hello @userYl3B1FNf9b

That is incorrect answer to his question.  His issue is that when water gets into USB port,  phone restarts.  IP68 guarantees phone will not have issues when it is underwater 1.5 meters for 30 minutes. If OP never drowned his phone beyond 1.5 meters and for less than 30 minutes,  then it seems his phone has issues and Samsung should replace it if it's still under warranty. 

Model: SM-N950U1 Unlocked US Carrier: T-Mobile
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userYl3B1FNf9b you should read up concerning IP ratings on phones and what they mean. 

usergd5fiud4bX
Constellation

Re: Is the Note8 Waterproof?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Samsung, please tell me why I should continue trusting you as my primary supplier for cell phones and  Televisions????

My Samsung Flag Ship phone has SUNK...  I do not feel or think that the Note 8 meets IP{68 standards by any STRETCH of the IMAGINATION   While it is classified as 'IP68. I would have to say this is a misleading representation of the phones functions and features.

Here is my scenario and why I came to the conclusion I have.
I went into a swimming pool and forgot I had my phone in my swimsuit pocket.  I almost immediately realized it and took it out of my pocket and proceeded to dry it off ("...are resistant to submersion up to a maximum depth of 1.5m underwater for up to thirty minutes.".)  I removed the S-Pen, and it was wet. I dried it off and left the pen out of the slot. Aside from towel drying, I let the phone AIR DRY for several hours. I then checked the phone because I wanted to take a picture.  The phone screen came on and went blank.  It was DEAD! I still had confidence that the phone would come back.  I put it away for the day. 
When I got home, I removed the sim card tray both the sim card and the memory card were wet.  I also saw that the water damage indicator had turned red.  My phone was now classified as a   water damaged phone.

GOOD NEWS/BAD NEWS - I had purchased insurance and was able to get a replacement phone for $199.00.  While it was not what it would have cost me if I did not have insurance, it still cost $199 - NOT ACCEPTABLE.  If this could be classified as a warranty/phone malfunction issue, my insurance would not have charged me anything.  

Here is what I feel - "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me."  Fool me three times...????

Again I say, "Samsung, please tell me why I should continue trusting you as my primary supplier for cell phones and  Televisions????