cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
McKhan
Asteroid

No Video Call button/icon on Note 8 (SM-N950U1 - Unlocked) on T-Mobile after Android Oreo update

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have two SM-N950U1 Note 8s running on T-Mobile which were not givivg the option of Video Calling.

Thus, after doing lots of research and calls, I found a solution of getting access to IMS Settings and turning on VoLTE using an app called 'Shortcut Master (Light)'.

It all worked fine but after the Android 8.0 (Oreo) update, Video Call button has disappeared from the dial pad (under Contacts) although VoLTE is still enabled/turned on under Call Settings.

I tried to use the app Shortcut Master (Light) like before but it is also giving an error message when we go to IMS Settings.

It is really frustrating.

I have read on other forums (i.e. xda forum) and noticed that SM-N950U1 is not the only Note 8 model which is having this issue but other Note 8 models too after ths Android 8.0 (Oreo) update.

The onus is upon Samsung to fix such bugs rather letting its customers to rely upon third party apps.

Any advice or suggestion or fix would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kevin Abreu
Cosmic Ray

Re: No Video Call button/icon on Note 8 (SM-N950U1 - Unlocked) on T-Mobile after Android Oreo update

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am not trying to represent Samsung, but I was so perplexed by your logic that I had to respond. Essentially, you find a vulnerability (or to be specific, ShortcutMaster did) and expect Samsung to accomodate your findings in every update moving forward? 

• Unlocked Note 8 w/ Nougat (Video calling not a feature)
    • You find a workaround to get a feature you aren't supposed to have, you are satisfied in the meantime
    • You receive an update for the Unlocked Note 8 (that still isn't supposed to have video calling)
  • Unlocked Note 8 w/ Oreo (Video calling is still not a feature)
    • You find out that your vulnerability/loophole no longer works (as expected, since the backend is obviously different and the update wasn't made with consideration of the 100s of customizations people have made for themselves)
    • You come on here complaining that it is Samsung's responsibility to give the feature back that you were not supposed to have under the defense that since you had it and now you don't

I am not trying to be harsh, but I am less inclined to help someone that has a false sense of entitlement. Though I am always willing to help people who understand the circumstances of their situation and would like help regardless. Maybe someone will look past that and give you the temporary workaround.

22 REPLIES 22
Red Giant

Re: No video calling option on unlocked Note 8 on T-Mobile

JUMP TO SOLUTION

video calling is only for same carrier phones with the capability of video calling

McKhan
Asteroid

Re: No video calling option on unlocked Note 8 on T-Mobile

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userbcMKA9DSlIwrote:

video calling is only for same carrier phones with the capability of video calling

Thank you for your kind response.

@I don't know what happened but I think the content of my post didn't get posted. Here is what I wrote:

"I have two SM-N950U1 Note 8s running on T-Mobile which were not givivg the option of Video Calling. Thus, after doing lots of research and calls, I found a solution of getting access to IMS Settings and turning on VoLTE using an app called 'Shortcut Master (Light)'.

It all worked fine but after the Android 8.0 (Oreo) update, Video Call button has disappeared from the dial pad although VoLTE is still enabled or turned on under Call Settings.

I tried to use the app Shortcut Master (Light) like before but it is also giving an error message when we go to IMS Settings.

It is really frustrating.

The onus is upon Samsung to fix such bugs rather letting its customers to rely upon third party apps.

Any advice or suggestion or fix would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you."

Red Giant

Re: No Video Call button/icon on Note 8 (SM-N950U1 - Unlocked) on T-Mobile after Android Oreo update

JUMP TO SOLUTION

oh. u might wanna call tmobile and see if they have a way to change that settings.

McKhan
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userbcMKA9DSlIwrote:

oh. u might wanna call tmobile and see if they have a way to change that settings.

I have already called T-Mobile. They couldn't help. Besides... it has nothing to do with them as I stated earlier in my original post that Video Call button/icon was there.. before the update but it is no longer there after the update. Furthermore, VoLTE is already enabled/turned on under Call Settings.

Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I just spoke with samsung and said no unlocked models have video call feature from the beginning. so if other methods such as installing 3rd party app to make it work don't work, then that is it.

McKhan
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userbcMKA9DSlIwrote:

I just spoke with samsung and said no unlocked models have video call feature from the beginning. so if other methods such as installing 3rd party app to make it work don't work, then that is it.

The solution to use 3rd party app (i.e. Shortcut Master - Light) was suggested here on this very Samsung Community Forum.

Therefore, I am sorry I don't agree with what Samsung has told you.

The truth of the matter is that we pay premier price for the Unlocked Phones for the very reason that we could have all the features.

Most importantly, VoLTE is still enabled and Video Calling feature has been working just fine on our Note 8s on T-Mobile for us (as the Video Call button/icon was there before the Android 8.0 / Oreo update and it just disappeared after the update), thus, it indicates that something triggered the disappearance of the Video Call button/icon due to the update. 

Having said that the onus is upon Samsung to provide us with the solution rather pointing fingers. T-Mobile has nothing to do with this bug.

Thank you.

Kevin Abreu
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It's on Samsung because somewhere along the way when designing the oreo upgrade, it didn't account for 3rd party edits? Sure you found a solution on this forum, but this is a community forum and not official company statements. 

Just wait until another workaround comes about. Things don't stay consistent with software updates (obviously) because the work around route that the shortcut master app used to enable features isn't the same on oreo  

The only thing I will say is that samsung should advertise from the start that their unlocked phones don't include carrier specific features 

McKhan
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Kevin Abreuwrote:

It's on Samsung because somewhere along the way when designing the oreo upgrade, it didn't account for 3rd party edits? Sure you found a solution on this forum, but this is a community forum and not official company statements. 

Just wait until another workaround comes about. Things don't stay consistent with software updates (obviously) because the work around route that the shortcut master app used to enable features isn't the same on oreo  

The only thing I will say is that samsung should advertise from the start that their unlocked phones don't include carrier specific features 

I don't know why you are trying to represent Samsung here.

I am just trying to find a solution for a feature which I have had on our Note 8s (Unlocked) and now it has disappeared. That's all.

And I still believe (you may disagree) that the onus is upon Samsung to provide us with the solution.

Kevin Abreu
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am not trying to represent Samsung, but I was so perplexed by your logic that I had to respond. Essentially, you find a vulnerability (or to be specific, ShortcutMaster did) and expect Samsung to accomodate your findings in every update moving forward? 

• Unlocked Note 8 w/ Nougat (Video calling not a feature)
    • You find a workaround to get a feature you aren't supposed to have, you are satisfied in the meantime
    • You receive an update for the Unlocked Note 8 (that still isn't supposed to have video calling)
  • Unlocked Note 8 w/ Oreo (Video calling is still not a feature)
    • You find out that your vulnerability/loophole no longer works (as expected, since the backend is obviously different and the update wasn't made with consideration of the 100s of customizations people have made for themselves)
    • You come on here complaining that it is Samsung's responsibility to give the feature back that you were not supposed to have under the defense that since you had it and now you don't

I am not trying to be harsh, but I am less inclined to help someone that has a false sense of entitlement. Though I am always willing to help people who understand the circumstances of their situation and would like help regardless. Maybe someone will look past that and give you the temporary workaround.