cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lepa79
Cosmic Ray

Note 8 FingerPrint Unlocked Stopped Working

JUMP TO SOLUTION

All of a sudden, my fingerprint unlock stopped working.  Simply nothing happens when i put my finger on the scanner.  no feedback, no errors, no nothing! it acts like no one is even touching it.

Things i tried to resolve the issue and in the order below:

Clear cache and restart phone (still not working)

Delete registered fingerprints and re-register them (still not working)

Clear partition cache (still not working)

Started phone in Safe Mode and still, fingerprint unlocked not working

The strange thing is that the fingerprint scanner still works on Samsung pay and all other apps that uses fingerprint authentication.  So doesn't seem to be a hardware issue.  The scanner only stopped working detecting my fingerprint when i want to use it to unlock the phone.

i also turned fingerscanner gesture on and that is working. I turned it back off as i don't use it.  Everything seems to be working except unlocking my phone.

Can samsung support suggest any ideas here? 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Lepa79
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Wow, I figured it out. Somehow my lockscreen timeout changed to 10 minutes. So phone was not really locking until after 10 minutes of screen going off. So when I was trying to unlock before that, there was nothing to unlock as the phone was not locked. I changed the setting for the phone to lock instantly on power button or screen timeout and voila, fingerprint unlock started working. So strange for that setting to change, I never touched it.
8 REPLIES 8
Lepa79
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Wow, I figured it out. Somehow my lockscreen timeout changed to 10 minutes. So phone was not really locking until after 10 minutes of screen going off. So when I was trying to unlock before that, there was nothing to unlock as the phone was not locked. I changed the setting for the phone to lock instantly on power button or screen timeout and voila, fingerprint unlock started working. So strange for that setting to change, I never touched it.
userz7aSQJdaap
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION
This is was the issue! Thanks so much for finding the solution!
userD8VtrQ9HFE
Constellation

Re: Note 8 FingerPrint Unlocked Stopped Working

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I tried this and it didn't work 😭, I'm so frustrated ah! Does anyone else have a different solution?

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey Community! Anyone else seeing this problem and have a different workaround or suggestion? Let us know! Smiley Happy

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userOkBTeTS43o
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

mine says ATTENTION an error has occurred with the fingerprint sensor.

if this message appears  repeatedly,

restart your phone 

I TRIED EVERY THING NOT WORKING REALLY DISAPPOINTING.

@SamsungViv wrote:

Hey Community! Anyone else seeing this problem and have a different workaround or suggestion? Let us know! Smiley Happy

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Would you mind sending me a private message here with your full model code and IMEI number so I can look into this for you?

Theonlystar
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks! It worked flawlessly. 

Highlighted
userbTlpQf6OYF
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello! Try these steps...they are working as a workaround to troubleshoot this issue:

Change the screen display resolution
To change screen resolution, please go to device “Settings -> Display->Screen resolution”.
Or simply search with “screen resolution” in Settings.

Turn off optimized power mode
For power saving mode, please go to device
 “Settings->Device maintenance->Battery”. Or simply search with “Power saving mode” Make sure it is on HIGH PERFORMANCE mode

then restart phone. see if it is working with those steps. (: