cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Note 8 HDR Problem in Netflix and YouTube

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I appreciate you confirming this information with us. Until an update comes available on the situation, I would recommend following up with Netflix regarding this specific concern to see if they have any resolution to the app tagging videos in HDR. The developer off the app could be also be a method to resolve this concern. If you go to the Playstore and pull up your Netflix app; It should have contact information for the developer on there. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

View solution in original post

Cloudpunisher
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the same issue on Netflix. I believe it is an issue between software of Samsung and Netflix. Unfortunatelly i called Netflix and they didnt know about this issue. I told them to investigate more but they told me that more people must communicate with them having the same problem. By the way before Pie, the colours were like washed out and the quality of HDR was like a mess. Did you had the problem also?  On the othe hand on youtube i see HDR on video quality options. I also tried this thing with the ble light filter but it didnt turned off. 

user516WQxipXD
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Are you also using Note 8 on the android Pie/One UI update? If you can see HDR on playback quality options on youtube then you should be able to see the change in colors/contrast when you select it? 

Depends on the video I guess. Some videos are washed out on HDR like haunting on hill house but some videos looked amazing like lost in space and some original animes. 

On the blue light filter, it will still be on in the settings but off on the video .

Cloudpunisher
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yes i am no the latest firmware, Pie with April security. Well i am not really sure i see any differce because in older days when in HDR you couldnt move the brightness slider and now i can so this is a but strange. Also when playing HDR on youtube, any 1080p videos play with drop frame like it frame rate gets lower.

Cloudpunisher
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

On the blue light filter, it will still be on in the settings but off on the video .

It remains on, on both settings and videos as i can see it clearly.

user516WQxipXD
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Cloudpunisher wrote:

It remains on, on both settings and videos as i can see it clearly.

can you see a visible change in the quality of the video on HDR ? if it's the same when you full screen the video then back to windowed then that might not be real hdr. is your resolution set to wqhd? video enhancer on? you can tell even just by the brightness when you go full screen then back to windowed mode.

Cloudpunisher
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Everything is set to the desired level. But HDR is like haveing any video in maximum brightness 

user516WQxipXD
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

just got hdr to work on youtube. I can also confirm blue light filter remains ON when HDR video plays on full screen. But the brightness and contrast are at or close to maximum. I wish they automatically turn blue light filter off though, makes the video quality much nicer.

user516WQxipXD
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Finally got HDR on youtube to work. I reset the phone to default settings, clear cache on youtube app,  do another restart, then HDR video quality appeaered when playing youtube videos on full screen. I guess Netflix needs to update their app after my galaxy note upgraded to Pie and One UI.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions!

Cloudpunisher
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I need to clear cache every time to make YouTube play HDR correctly so that even brighness bar cannot be adjusted. Still it needs work.