cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ibenzawla
Asteroid

Note 8 Proximity Sensor Issue

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi, I have a random issue with my Note 8 proximity sensor. Sometimes the screen doesn't go dark during calls as it is supposed to. I dont have a case and the sensor area is clean. It started after the recent Oreo update. Used to sork well with no issue. The sensor itself appears to be working but just not activating during some calls. Works well sometime. I also noticed that it mostly happens when receiving calls. I have not noticed issue with outgoing calls. Weird. Its a T-Mobile USA phone but currently unlocked. I did the setting reset and wondering if a full fatory reset will help.

Any response will appreciated. Thanks!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Toni
Constellation

Re: Note 8 Proximity Sensor Issue

JUMP TO SOLUTION

THANK YOU!!!

@SamsungJace wrote:

Give this a shot; 

Settings>Apps>Click on the three dots at the top right corner>Show system Apps>Device Maintenance>Storage> Clear Cache/Data

Settings>Apps>Click on the three dots at the top right corner>Show system Apps>Phone (All 3)>Storage> Clear Cache/Data

65 REPLIES 65
Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey, I'm sorry to see this, @ibenzawla. Would you mind providing us with some information about your device?

* Model Number

* Baseband Version (Software Information)

* Carrier

You can find this information in Settings > About Phone. Thanks!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

ibenzawla
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi and thanks for the respose. This is the info for my Note 8:

Model: SM-N95OU

Baseband Verson: N95OUSQS4CRE1

Carrier: Originally T-Mobile but now unlocked and use on AT&T

Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks so much for getting back to me with this information, @ibenzawla.

Let's try some troubleshooting, can you attempt to clear your device's cache?

1. Power off your device
2. Power it back on by holding down the Volume Up, Home/Bixby, and Power keys.
3. When you see the Android laying down, wait for 30 seconds until it boots into the Recovery Menu.
4. From here, use the volume up/down keys to highlight "Wipe Cache partition" and select it with the power key.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

ibenzawla
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks for the response. I did wipe the cache by following your instructions and unfortunately I am still having the same proximity sensor issue. I did a full system restore multiple times but still no luck. I tried doing a clean boot without restoring Samsung or Google and it seems to work well with no issues. The thing is though with that I am not able to access Google apps or any of the Samsung features. I started having this issue with the recent Oreo update. It used to work well with Nougat. Hopefully there will be a solution in the near future.

Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello again @ibenzawla

If you have taken all those steps, than I believe the next step would be to get that device evaluated and possible repaired. The swiftest way to do that would be to reach out to us at 1 800 726 7864, or via the Samsung+ application. You can also reach out to one of the moderators here, and we will be happy to get that set up. Lastly, you can also look to see if there are any walk in repair facilities near you here.

userCC2C0QgLeN
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm having the same issues here after updating my Samsung galaxy note 8 how do I fix it

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Can I please get your full model number and baseband version?

userWKCLOgvFEb
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same problem here, note8 with T-Mobile 

Please help.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userWKCLOgvFEb Does this happen in safe mode?