cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userekSrbvNdED
Asteroid

Note 8 Rebooting by itself

My Note 8 (SM-N9500) running Android version 7.1.1 and Samsung Experience Version 8.5 reboots by itself mostly at night (but not every night). I first noticed this within the past two weeks after owning the phone since mid Feb. I turned on face recognition as a log on option in addition to using a typed password. What happens is when the phone reboots, the user must type in a password to log in. This is basically how I know this is happening. It may have been happening longer as I only started using face recognition this past week. As another user here reported, this seems to occur when the phone is on idle for some lenght of time. I see the reboot message in the morning as the phone is obviously idle when I am sleeping.

Does anyone else expereince this and how to fix it? I do not have auto reset activated FYI so that is not the reason.

All software is through Google Play or from Samsung. The phone is not rooted.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

24 REPLIES 24
Highlighted

Re: Note 8 Rebooting by itself

There is still questionable software on google play  I would google how to boot into safe mode and run that for a couple days to see if it is a rogue app causing said situation

@userekSrbvNdEDwrote:

My Note 8 (SM-N9500) running Android version 7.1.1 and Samsung Experience Version 8.5 reboots by itself mostly at night (but not every night). I first noticed this within the past two weeks after owning the phone since mid Feb. I turned on face recognition as a log on option in addition to using a typed password. What happens is when the phone reboots, the user must type in a password to log in. This is basically how I know this is happening. It may have been happening longer as I only started using face recognition this past week. As another user here reported, this seems to occur when the phone is on idle for some lenght of time. I see the reboot message in the morning as the phone is obviously idle when I am sleeping.

Does anyone else expereince this and how to fix it? I do not have auto reset activated FYI so that is not the reason.

All software is through Google Play or from Samsung. The phone is not rooted.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

userekSrbvNdED
Asteroid

I need an official reposnse from Samsung in one day or I am contacting the Wall Street Journal and blowing this wide open. Need answers not read this board and come check each time. You fix the issue or the media will force it down your throat IMO.

Vic20
Halo

It sounds like you have auto reboot enabled in settings. I'd check there to see if that is the issue.

userekSrbvNdED
Asteroid

It is not enabled. I am aware of that setting.

useryDl1CnJpCo
Constellation

I have exactly the same problem and no auto reset selected. I didn't even know that was an option until now. I also get water notification at a similar time. The stupid phone is in my hand and has been on a wireless charger, so no chance of water ingress.

Moved from W10 to this three weeks ago and regretting it.

Any help would be gratefully received!

@userekSrbvNdEDwrote:

It is not enabled. I am aware of that setting.

Has anyone come across a way to help resolve this yet?

userekSrbvNdED
Asteroid

You work for Samsung and your are asking us? Dude, do your HW and read the S8 forum like I did today. You have 76 pages of complaints on this same issue and mods on that thread basically disappeared. Some Note 8 owners struggling for answers like myself and have looked (read every single thread) and posted there given the similarity. IMO the longer you (Samsung) customers about this the bigger the problem from a reputational capital perspective you will in fact hurt yourself. Trust me, we just want a good working phone because we spent over $1K on it. Want nothing more. But if you run away and effectively cheated us, you will pay dearly in all aspects including and especially reputation.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Have you tried wiping the cache partition?

userekSrbvNdED
Asteroid

Of course. Can you do this? Can you talk to your engineers? Do you even have the power? This issue is exactly the smae as experienced by S8 users. I'm not gonna retype every detail again. I feel the knowlerge base of the mods is not at the level some of the users have because we are racking our brains out trying to figture this out. If you look up my threads you will see all the detals and the constant pleas for help. Sooner or later its gonna haunt Samsung if no help if forthcoming but maybe that is by design. So far this board is useless except for the tips given by other users. Prove me wrong.